German Goalkeeper Enke Killed By Train In Suspected Suicide

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sports' started by L.Johnson #27, Nov 11, 2009.

1. L.Johnson #27

L.Johnson #27 C-H-I-E-F-S - G-A-L-A-X-Y

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

German goalkeeper Enke killed by train in suspected suicide

2. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

What a harsh way to take yourself out...

3. cris80

cris80 comic relief

Suicide is for cowards.

I feel bad for his family. He left his with with an adopted 8 month old baby.

4. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

He became depressive after the loss of his daughter, they said. He feared that, if he sated this in public, his carreer goes down the drain and that the authorities could take the child away from him. Anyway, he left his wife and kid in a mess....

5. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Maybe he jumped head first to die instantly lol

6. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

I don't think he's a coward. Life can be overwhelming at times.

7. hermhater

hermhater Guest

A dude killed himself by train less than 100 feet from my house last year.

He was out on bail for child molestation.

8. cris80

cris80 comic relief

If you take your own life because things are going bad then you are a coward.

Period.

Sure things suck in life sometimes, sometimes horribly so. But you don't kill yourself to get away from it and leave your family and friends to deal with it instead. You face it head on and learn from your mistakes. It's part of life. Live it.

He left his wife and child to deal with the personal problems that he couldn't handle. Man the heck up.

He was a coward if he killed himself and I have no pity for people who do. I only pity the fact that his child, adopted or not, will never get to know him, and his wife will have to deal with this additional stress.

1 person likes this.
  9. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

I don't think things were going bad for him... I mean he was a professional athlete, played goalkeeper for one of the greatest soccer teams in the world, had no drug problems, was loaded with cash, and had a loving family. Things couldn't have been going bad for him at all. By the sounds of it he just couldn't deal with the loss of his child for whatever reason and was battling with serious depression. I don't think he's a coward and I also don't pity him. Theres always more than meets the eye and not everything can be painted black or white when it comes to suicide. The family he left behind is going to move on, I'm sure he left them more than well off financially and the adopted child won't even remember him and is in a better situation than before being adopted.

10. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

They all should be thrown in front of a train. Hope he starts a trend.

1 person likes this.
  11. cris80

cris80 comic relief

Hell yes!

12. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I disagree, he was sick.

13. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I feel bad for his wife and child. Calling him out as a coward is not opinion I agree with, but it is the ultimate act of selfishness there is. While there may be no physical pathology associated with mental illness, it is a disease process nonetheless. Hypothetically, if you're terminally ill with cancer and in horrific pain 24/7, is it cowardly to off yourself? Just an opinion.
    Is Hannover a team you follow closely, Olly? Please post any updates that help to explain 'why?'.

14. L.Johnson #27

he became depressive in 2003 .. lost his daughter 2006. He did not publish his illness because he was afraid that his adopted daughter would be taken away from him and his wife.

15. cris80

cris80 comic relief

I called him a coward because he wouldn't face the issues that he was dealing with, and yes I understand they are real issues, but now his wife is probably be in a more difficult position than before, and now she's dealing with the issues alone. What does this do to the relationship between mother and child?

This has nothing to do with horrific pain, and terminal disease. Nor was he captured by terrorists and about to be tortured until death.

I get what your saying, but in this specific case, I think he took the cowardly, and yes, very selfish way out.

This is just one man's humble opinion. Obviously everyone else is entitled to their own as well.

16. L.Johnson #27

Major depressive disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

17. SoDev

A link to wiki disorder? Weak post. We all know the story. We all have issues.

I agree with cris, offing yourself is a cop-out. It's weak, it's the easy way out, and it's leaves others (family) to clean up your mess.

Examples of terminal illness or extreme torture obviously do not apply. There are noble and reasonable reasons to kill yourself.

That's my 2 cents.

18. L.Johnson #27

easy to say it , when you don´t have this illness ...WE ALL don´t know whats going on in their heads ...

to lose a job , it´s not the same when you lose kids and he was sick for years. only his wife and his doctor knew it.

he could only manage his illness on the field for 90 minutes, but not off the field

19. cris80

cris80 comic relief

Just going to have to agree to disagree. Like I said, you're entitled to your opinion, and I to mine. I'm not happy he's dead, I just don't feel bad for him because he made his choice. I do however feel bad for his family.

"Cowardice, in general terms, is the perceived failure to demonstrate sufficient robustness in the face of a challenging situation."

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

I agree with you here.

20. SoDev

I just gave my opinion, and you can have yours, but don't assume. You don't know what I have, what I've tried, or where I've been.