Ravens Backup QB Troy Smith Asks For A Trade

Discussion in 'Baltimore Ravens' started by ravenfan52, Dec 28, 2009.

1. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

Baltimore Ravens backup quarterback Troy Smith has requested a trade, according to his agent. The former Heisman Trophy winner from Ohio State plays sparingly behind franchise quarterback Joe Flacco, and he would like a change of scenery, per his agent, Ralph Cindrich. Cindrich wrote the following message today on his Twitter account: "Ravens QB Troy Smith, Ohio State alum, native + Heisman winner wants playing time. Ravens notified. Will seek trade after play offs, SB run." It's no secret around the team that Smith believes he should be a starter in the NFL and was extremely disappointed to lose his chance to start last year when a tonsil infection sidelined him during the preseason.

Source: National Football Post

2. cover the spread

cover the spread beastin'

Rams should take a look at him

3. blkngldbabe

blkngldbabe Come Get Some!

SO should the CFL.

4. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Not a bad idea since Bulger's days in St. Louis seem over.

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

seriously? does anyone believe he's a legit nfl starter?

6. blkngldbabe

Maybe the Browns can be convinced. They seem to lunge like rabid monkeys at any QB who can throw the ball over the Offensive line. I'll bet they'll trade something ludicrous for him.

7. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Has he ever been given the chance? If given the chance, we'll see.

8. Ridin Burgundy

Ridin Burgundy on the Magic Bandwagon

9. Flacco2MasonTD

Flacco2MasonTD ಠ_ಠ

It'd be nice if someone could talk him down on this one, he's a quality backup and its nice for us BAL fans to know that he's waiting in the wings if (god forbid) something were to happen to Joe. We should just give him more money or something, I really hope we can keep him.

10. CaptainStubing

eh, we could say that about any 2nd or 3rd string QB in the league who hasn't been allowed to start 20 games to 'see what they can do' though, couldn't we? Teams just don't have the time to give every 2nd and 3rd string QB a 'chance' under center. this is a win-now league so they're going to go with the best guy. Troy has just never been the best guy in Baltimore and I'm not really sure WHERE he would be the best guy. maybe cleveland?

11. blkngldbabe

I'll bet Carolina could take a flier on him.

12. falcon_91

falcon_91 Pro Bowler

I do

13. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

When I've seen him play for Baltimore he's been fairly good. I think he'd get a decent amount of interest.

14. CaptainStubing

well, we will see if cleveland or st. louis or someone gives him a chance and then we'll know for sure what he can do long-term. However, the guy is no spring chicken. he's been in the league for 3 years and has lots of regular season film and preseason film that other teams could have seen and been clamoring for his talents already.

oh well, we'll see.

15. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

No Spring Chicken? The guy will only be 26 at the start of next season, and would have already been adapted to the pro systems. Add in the lack of starting caliber QB's in the draft and tbh you've got a guy that will draw a bit of interest.

I wouldn't mind St. Louis taking a shot at him.

16. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

Somebody should tell him the trade deadline was week 6. j/k:icon_cheesygrin:

I don't think would hurt for another team to give him a shot. At least he doesn't want to be a back up for his whole career.

17. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

He's not expensive, and is a less glamorous (if you wanna call him that) Seneca Wallace. He's a quality back-up that works for his team, but if given the chance, you never know. Back about 4-5 years ago, I thought Wallace could be a quality starter for several teams in the league.

I think Troy Smith is a better option than a lot of teams have, Rams, Browns, Bills, Raiders, Seahawks are going to be looking for QBs next season, and Carolina, Washington and San Francisco could be as well. I think someone will allow him to battle it out in training camp, especially those smaller market teams that won't be able to drop the big bucks that big money teams in need of a quarterback are willing to drop.

18. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

The only time he's looked even decent was in preseason... And even still he hasn't done crap. Give me a freaking break, demanding a trade lol! He'll get his wish alright, they'll probably cut his butt cause nobody gonna give up anything for him. You can probably find 4 or more Troy Smiths in the draft this year who are younger and probably better and you can groom them, Jarrett Brown, Juice Williams (yeah JUICE lol), Daryl Clark haha, Joe Webb to name a few. Cmon you can't be serious with this this crap, somebody is gonna trade for him and make him there starter hah.

19. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

Ha, you named Joe Webb, that's awesome, cause I totally know him and whatnot.....

No, but seriously, I'm actually shocked anyone outside the CUSA knows him.

20. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Smith could be a steady starter. He is fast to the Raiders might be an option.