Packers GM Won't Admit Releasing FS Anthony Smith Was A Mistake

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by SRW, Jan 30, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Packers general manager TedThompson did not feel he left the secondary personnel shortchanged by releasing safety Anthony Smith and placing cornerback Pat Lee on injured reserve before the season. "I think we had a pretty good group, especially going into training camp," Thompson said. "And then we had some injuries. We wound up finding guys in the middle of the season, and they were playing at the end of the season. I thought we did OK. Again, there's only so many players that are capable of doing that on the NFL level." Thompson wouldn't admit releasing Smith - even though the team tried to claim him off waivers in November - was a poor move in hindsight. "I don't know about mistake; at the time we felt like he could add something to our team," Thompson said. When asked why the team thought Smith couldn't play in September but could in November, Thompson said: "Things change a lot between Week 1 and Week 10."

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

2. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

TT is never wrong....

3. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

will blackmon and al haris going down never apart of the plan. i dont think smith would have been a factor in the wild card game, so eh.... .pack needs to get depth a DB, get a free agent, trade for someone,

4. flexnfx

flexnfx flexnfx

TT=

As long as we are stuck with Ted Thompson, titletown will never win another SB. From the hiring of a friend, Mike McCarthy, to the release of veterans and obsession with youth...TT continues to set this franchise back. Sure, there have been some players that have worked out well via the draft, but every team and every GM finds a few...it's Ted's inability to lure/retain veterans. Woodson is the one big exception. If it weren't for the pressure to bring back Clifton and Tauscher to the O-Line, A-Rod would be 6 feet under the Lambeau turf.

I hate to say it, but by making the playoffs (usually a good thing), we just bought ourselves @ least one to two more years of the Dumb and Dumber show (AKA McCarthy and Thompson).

1 person likes this.
  5. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I've nothing to add....

Rep

6. hermhater

hermhater Guest

:word:

Great first post flexnfx!

7. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

anthony smith is a very talented safety....hes a little pr**k and has a serious attitude problem but hes not like a criminal or anything. hes a gifted safety, i cant believe no one will be willing to put up with his ego and let him play he is always in the right place i dont think tomlin gave him a fair shot

8. iknowkungfu

iknowkungfu Rookie

The worst part about it all... is the team hasn't looked so good since the mid-90s... :icon_rolleyes:

I doubt you saw those teams though, so it'll be hard for you to compare...

9. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

i GUARANTEE it was a mistake.