Dan Rooney Declines To Offer Support To Ben Roethlisberger

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by SRW, Apr 15, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Steelers owner Dan Rooney declined to comment on Wednesday when asked if his team is supporting embattled QB Ben Roethlisberger. "I'm not making any comment on that," said Rooney, also the U.S. ambassador to Ireland, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Rooney, in his first comments since Roethlisberger was accused of sexually abusing a 20-year-old college student in Georgia, sidestepped questions about the QB: "It's being handled properly with (team president) Art (Rooney II), (coach) Mike (Tomlin) and (Steelers director of football operations) Kevin Colbert. I think they're handling it very well. The commissioner, as you know, saw Ben. I don't have any more to say."

Source: USA Today

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2010
  2. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

Way to stand up for your player, rod.

3. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Maybe he's just not fond of accused rapists. I don't think that's out of line.

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

He didn't say he wasn't supporting him, he just refused to comment...

5. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

Bad move right there by him. You always gotta back your players.

6. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

This is the problem in sports and in life in general. You don't keep backing up people that keep freaking up. They give you and your organization in this case a bad name. If you back heck ups to often you to begin to look like a giant butthole!!

1 person likes this.
  7. multibeast

multibeast Special Teamer

yeah he's a commodity they aren't wearing BFF bracelets. no need to back him up. your boss doesn't have to like you - sorry if that hurts your feelings.

8. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I think no comment was the right thing. Supporting him is one thing, making ongoing comments to the press about is another completely. I'm a Browns fan and I get this, if
    it were you, would you comment on an issue like this that you were trying to move past?

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

^ this

10. Squibby

Squibby Rookie

Always got to support your players? Seroiusly? Dude has been accused twice in a year with sexual assault. How about saying no he is a grown man and if he can't be a grown man than that is his problem...not mine as an owner.

Big Ben is the rod...not Rooney...

1 person likes this.
  11. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

Accused and not guilty. Not even charged in this case.

12. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

So what? If you were in Rooneys position, you are paying this man MILLIONS of dollars to play for and in turn be a representative of your franchise. Which you also paid millions of dollars for. Damn right I'd be pissed if he was putting himself in situations like this, charged or not.