Dolphins Select DT Jared Odrick (1st Rd, No. 28)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins' started by SRW, Apr 22, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

With the 28th overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select Penn State DT Jared Odrick. Odrick has a good combination of size and strength and is more of a run-stopper with power to hold the point who needs to utilize his hands more consistently to separate to the ball. Odrick shows power to collapse the pocket as a pass rusher but again needs to expand his pass rush package with more moves and counters to contribute at the next level. He has some limitations (lateral agility and speed) but plays with a good motor and often wins with effort.

Source: NFL.com

2. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Team Veteran

Williams would've been great at the pick, but Odrick is a solid player that is an upgrade for us at a need position

3. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Odrick is an upgrade over who? Langford or Starks? Unless he can put on 10-15 lbs and play nose, I don't understand this pick.

4. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Team Veteran

That's the plan from what I read. Defensive Tackle and the upgrade was over Soliai is what I meant :)

Since Ferguson won't be there until week 8, we need to have depth at the spot.

5. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Odrick needs to put on weight to be a nose otherwise he is an end in a 3-4.

6. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

A LOT OF WEIGHT, he is definitely going to be an end in Miami's defense.

7. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Team Veteran

Will Nolan try and switch to the 4-3 defense? At least at times? We have lots of defensive ends at this point with Merling/Langford/Starks, etc. Wonder why we'd go with Odrick if not for plans to keep him inside of the D-line.

8. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

I wouldn't say alot, 10 lbs should do it, because I could see him as a Ratliff style nose. One who creates so much pressure that teams have to double team him.

9. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

They can do that with Langford and Starks at DE, however might make Merling useless in the base D. To play with a Rat type NT, you gotta have anchor's at DE. Our Defense is at its best when we play with two strong side type DE's

10. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Merling would be used with Starks and Wake and someone else in passing situations. At least that's how I would do it. And Nolan is known for blitzing and using pressure.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

Plus this might open up the Dolphins drafting a guy like Owens later on and developing him.

11. Gehring53

Gehring53 2008 National Champs

He's a solid player but I don't see him playing anything other than a 3-4 DE

12. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

I was thinking the exact same thing, maybe they want more pass rush on the D-line on passing downs but then its like you took a situational player in the 1st round.

13. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

The more and more I think about this, the more I think they want him as a Jay Ratliff style nose, but a tad more well rounded.