Longtime NFL Coach Don Coryell Dead At 85

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Saintsfan1972, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

Longtime NFL coach Don Coryell passed away Thursday at age 85. One of the most innovative offensive minds of all time, Coryell gave birth to a "coaching tree" rivaled only by Walsh, Bill Parcells, and Mike Holmgren in league history. Though his all-time record as head coach of the mid-70s Cardinals and late-70s to mid-80s Chargers wasn't staggeringly impressive (72-60), the aggressive, vertical-based, "Air" Coryell offense was years before its time. Coryell had direct influence on such modern-era coaches as Mike Martz, Joe Gibbs, Norv Turner, Dan Henning, and Al Saunders. Coryell had been ill for months and passed due to complications from pneumonia.

Source: San Diego 10News.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2010
  2. R.I.P. "Air Coryell"

The father of the modern day passing game...

3. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

damn shame he didn't make it to the HOF this last time

4. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I didn't realize he never made it. Total shame.

:tombstone: Don.

5. I think it's bullcrap he hasn't been inducted yet.

Who cares if he didn't win a championship.

His impact on the game still lives on with his aggressive...air it out style of offensive that some teams still employ.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

*offense

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's definitely B/S that he's not in the Hall. You can't tell the story of the NFL without him. He was a great influence to the passing game. He was a big influence on some major coaches as well. I think he made the Chargers Hall of Fame...

That team was one of my favorites to watch. Dan Fouts, Chuck Muncie, Charlie Joyner, Kellen Winslow, Rolf Benirschke...

RIP!!

7. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

RIP. The Innovator.

8. :word:

John Jefferson, Lionel "Little "Train" James, James Brooks...list goes on and on

Fouts credited Croyell by saying he wouldn't have made the Hall of Fame without Don.

9. FamousGuy909

FamousGuy909 Ticket Scalper

10. Jeffgoodt

Jeffgoodt Team Veteran

Man should be a HOFer

RIP

11. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

12. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Growing up, I always made it a point to watch the Crargers play when Coryell was head coach because I knew the games would always be exciting to watch.

RIP.