Colts SS Bob Sanders May Never Play Football Again?

Discussion in 'Indianapolis Colts' started by SRW, Jul 19, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Michael Lombardi of NFL.com reports that there is some concern Colts strong safety Bob Sanders might never be able to play football again, with his shoulder and bicep issues. He reduced his contract, but his rehab has been slow. The former NFL Defensive Player of the Year has only played in more than six regular season games twice (2005 and 2007) in his five years with the Colts, and even in their Super Bowl year, he only played four games during the regular season.

Source: NFL.com

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

Yeah, it's a shame this guy can't stay healthy. He's incredible. But how could he stay healthy with how he plays?

3. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

hes got such a good skill set, athletic ability and instincts, hes just too small for the position

4. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Colts have been the architect of his demise from day 1. Sanders saved them for years due to being crap against the run. Now he's paying the price for his reckless abandon & ready to be discarded like an old jockstrap cuz he can't stay healthy. :icon_rolleyes:

A shame but that's business in the NFL for you...

5. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. If you're not...

Colts' Sanders signs for five years, $37.5 million -- tops among safeties - NFL - ESPN
    Let's not feel too bad for a guy who will make over $20,000,000 for playing a game for 7-8 years of his life, let alone not even suiting up for half of them.

6. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Such a dominant athlete when he's on the field.. such a shame it's not often.

7. Tarkus

???

What's that got to do with his slow rehab & questions if there's not more to the wear & tear thru the years?

& feel sorry for him? It's about playing football & the price paid, not if he's financially well off.

8. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I don't understand where you're going here. Are you saying that the Colts are at fault for his injuries? Or for his slow recovery time? Or that they are not treating him correctly?
    Lol. Then we have a difference of opinion. These guys go out there and risk injury every year for financial well-being. He happened to be one of the unlucky ones who gets hurt every year because of the way he plays. He knows the risk every time he puts on the helmet, but he does it because of the $$$$$. And he has been rewarded handsomely.

9. Tarkus

Simple case of a team's near sightedness of not addressing a glaring weakness for years while allowing a safety to pick up the slack. His bruising style will definitely put him in harms way more often than some but he's been pulled into heavier run support than he should have been.

Another example would be Mike Brown with the Bears who ended up playing more run support due to a string of years of crapty run D & ending up hurt more often to the point his career being shortened. Big difference in regular run support as opposed to coming up to fill gaps the first 2 lines of defense failed at against opponents with a 10 yard head start free & clear.

So Colts fault? In their choice of addressing needs back then, yea...

:icon_rolleyes:

I address something as a fan of who said for years that Sanders was going to end up having a shorter career which I hated to see cuz he's a top notch player, like Brown was, due to a team's blindness in a key area & you keep wanting to turn it into a 'business'.

Yea, let's leave it as a difference of opinion.

10. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Ever think that run support could be a key reason why the safeties were drafted by their respective teams? I guarantee you a Bob Sanders, Mike Brown, Polamalu, and other guys like that would not be happy unless they were able to play that way. They sure as hell wouldn't be considered as effective as they are either.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

And in a perfect world, every team would have All Pro players at every position. Unfortunately, some teams focus more on offense, some on defense, some on the secondary, some on the D-line.

11. Tarkus

Of course that's what they're known for but do you really think that those type of players don't benefit from a solid run D in front of them as opposed to the guys who don't when it comes to career longevity?

& as far as All Pros? Don't need them. Plenty of teams with solid front/LB corps without a slew of them.

C'mon... Now we're splittin' hairs here.

12. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Football is a team sport. Any player would be better with better pieces in front or behind them.

I mean hell, I could make the argument that a DT would put up better numbers if he had a better secondary that could cover the opposing WRs tighter, which would give the DT more time to penetrate and disrupt the play.

You have only so much money and draft picks. Clearly, the areas of importance for the Colts are the entire offense and DE and (well, used to be) S.

13. Tarkus

This is starting to sound like one of those contrary convos I have with my wife. :icon_smile:

You bring up points that I'm sure we all feel but they don't apply here as far as I'm concerned.

I'll just leave it at the fact that the Colts, IMO, didn't put the emphasis on the run D for years which cost them not only Sanders health but Ws. Check their rankings thru the years if you'd like.

Thanks for the point/counterpoint tho...

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

^^

15. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

What crowned said, that sucks man.

16. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I do see your point. They also have the highest paid player in the sport who eats roughly 15-20% of the cap, so it makes things even more of a challenge.

:beerchug:

17. Tarkus

& that too is an excellent point.

:beerchug: