Reid Protecting Kolb By Naming Vick The Starter?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by bigsexyy81, Sep 24, 2010.

1. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Reid's move to Vick in best interest of all, including Kolb - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Read the whole thing. In a crazy, imaginative way, it actually makes compete freaking sense.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

The gist:

-Kolb looks like crap week one.

-Vick plays like a stud the rest of the game and week 2.

-If Reid names Kolb the starter and he doesn't play at a high level, Philadelphia fans call for his head and demand Vick be put back in as the starter. Essentially, he could be preparing his grave.

-By naming Vick the starter, he puts all of the pressure on Vick while leaving all Eagles fans wondering 'WTF? Why isn't he playing our future quarterback? Isn't this the year we take our lumps and let Kolb figure crap out?' Reid looks like the idiot butthole, heat is now on Vick, and now Philly is, for the most part, on Kolb's side.

-Vick will eventually come back to earth, and when he does, Kolb will be handed the keys again and expectations will be what they were, possibly lower.

I can only see Reid making the knee-jerk reaction to name Vick the starter indefinitely by having some other plans running through his head. It really was very uncharacteristic of him.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

I said something very similar in one of the earlier threads. Don't know how true it is, but the "theory" works...

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

yay, reid is coddling another qb. it worked wonders last time.

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

sure, it makes sense. after vick performed well and a lot of philly fans wanted to stick with vick, reid and kolb were in a no-win situation. reid put himself in this situation, though, by picking up the option on vick's 2nd season after deciding to go with kolb as his starter and extending him. this is how qb controversies are created ......... when you have 2 'ok' qb's but no clear #1. reid dug his own hole with this one and he is now trying to slither out of it.

5. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

^truth. Even more idiotic that his clear number one is now leading a divisional rival.

6. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

So we should have gone into the season with Kevin Kolb and Mike Kafka?

LOL

Clay Matthews put Reid in this situation. Our cat o-line put Reid in this position.

7. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Kolb has only a 1 year deal do you think hes gonna want to resign after all this waiting no hes gonna try to sign somewhere to start. I think the eagles should just offer vick an extention now.

8. CaptainStubing

true

well, while there's some truth to this, it doesn't take away from the fact that reid proclaimed kolb the qb of the eagles and extended him, yet still felt the need to pick up the option on vick, which not only signaled that he did not have 100% confidence in kolb, but created this situation when vick 'outplayed' kolb (although kolb got so little time to show anything, who knows what he is). As much as I respect Reid as a coach and talent evaluator, he created this mess.

Having said that, I don't blame Reid for making the choice he has made. I would be tempted to go with the hot hand also.

9. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

It's week 3, man. There is so much more football to happen before the end of the year. No sense worrying about it yet.

Kolb was the guaranteed starter. Vick was kept as an insurance policy in case of an injury (see: week 1. lol) and to run the Wildcat a few plays every game. Doesn't mean he had less than 100% confidence at all. If Kolb didn't get knockedtheheckout, there is no way Vick starts a game this year.

This scenario is a win for the organization however you look at it. Vick keeps winning, organization made the right decision. Vick starts losing, organization says 'we stayed with the hot hand while it was hot, now it's Kevin's turn to prove he is the starter'.

10. CaptainStubing

Imagine they never drafted Kolb and the Eagles didn't trade McNabb. Would they have picked up the $6 million option and kept Vick to just 'be there' in case of injury? That's an awfully expensive insurance policy.

11. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

This article assumed Reid can think past his next meal.

He can't.

12. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

13. CaptainStubing

i think it's pretty obvious with the way things were handled financially and now on the field that 2010 was always an open QB competition in Philly, regardless of what the eagles said. And i can't blame them for going with the hot hand. i would be hesitant to cut ties with Kolb and go with Vick for the long run though, especially paying him a ton of money in a long-term contract.

14. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Do you know how many games McNabb missed because of injury?

I guarantee you they would have.

Maybe I've been wrong and there actually was an open QB competition.

Screw, who knows. Still 14 games left for this drama to play out.

All I know is if the offense keeps putting out the type of production they have with Vick in there (he's producing well, Shady is putting up excellent numbers), even with this mess of an o-line, I'm okay with it.

**Side thought... I wonder if Kolb's ineptness in the preseason hurt his view in management's eyes. I also wasn't hearing rave reviews during training camp either.

15. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

And during those injuries who did they have backing him up? Other then Garcia it was garbage so as usual your thought process is wrong.

16. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

And that's why they drafted Kevin Kolb. To try and find that QB who could stay healthy, show somewhat of a spine, and bring them the championship that McNabb never could.

LOL!

Good try though.

17. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Wow...Kolb was drafted for his abilities to stay healthy and win a SB and he made it a whole 1/2....they are freaking idiots no?

18. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Of course they are! They traded away the best quarterback in the history of the franchise! They must be freaking idiots!

19. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

^ "bout time you figured it out" truth

20. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

this is bullcrap, if it were true then they would have said this as the first reason, not the third. First it was because Vick moves better behind an oline that is having trouble blocking, then it was more time to let kolb grow. now it's to protect him because "IF" he had a bad game, it MIGHT have hurt his psyche. ITS TOTAL FREAKING BULLCRAP coming from Howie the DOUCHE.