BOO! Why Donovan McNabb Will Cause Philadelphia Embarrassment

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by 3rdStoneFromTheSun, Sep 29, 2010.

1. 3rdStoneFromTheSun

3rdStoneFromTheSun Truth Hurts Like Freedom

[​IMG]

He was booed the moment he was drafted by Eagles fans, who wanted running back Ricky Williams. Williams also happened to be a minor league outfielder for the Philadelphia Phillies at the time, playing four years of Class A ball.

As the second overall pick of the 1999 draft, he trails only Champ Baily and Torry Holt in Pro Bowl appearances from that draft. Five quarterbacks were selected in the first 12 picks, and he is the only one still in the league.

The least intercepted quarterback ever, per pass attempt ratio, he is one of only six quarterbacks to have 25,000 passing yards and 3,000 rushing yards in a career. He currently has the second best touchdown to interception ratio ever, and owns the third best winning percentage of active quarterbacks.

Besides holding the NFL record for consecutive completions in a game, he holds the Eagles franchise records in wins, passing yards, passing attempts, completions, and touchdowns, along with team single-season records in passing yards and completions.

Not only did he lead Philadelphia to a franchise best five NFC Championship games, he threw for 357 yards on 30 completions for three scores during the Eagles 24 - 21 loss in Super Bowl XXXIX despite being ill. Though McNabb denies the illness, eschewing people seeking excuses for him, it is the third most passing yards and completions in Super Bowl history.

It seemed he put the team on his shoulders every year, leading them beyond expectations. He never had a power running game, so he often had to throw the ball in short yardage situations. Despite all of his successes, he was booed quite often.

Philadelphia is a tough town to play in. Ask Mike Schmidt, perhaps the greatest third baseman in National League history. He spent many games with the Phillies being booed. Julius Erving played in front of sparse crowds while building a legend to where he is known as "Dr. J". McNabb being booed is more on par than aberration.

Now he is a member of the Washington Redskins, something he did not ask to be. He was traded a few months ago , not long after stating he wished to retire as an Eagle. He leads his new team onto his old stomping grounds this Sunday, and the question is what to expect.

The Redskins have been a rival of the Eagles since 1934. Though the Redskins lead the series 77 - 68 - 6, and well as having two more championship wins and having defeated Philadelphia in their only playoff game, the two franchises actually mirror themselves in a few ways.

Both saw success in the 1940's, then swooned for years. Though the Eagles won the 1960 championship, and the Redskins won three Super Bowls between 1982 to 1992, both teams have spent most years on the outside looking in when the leagues championships were decided.

To make things more intense, the Eagles and Redskins have played in the same division since 1933 along with the New York Giants. Gallons of blood has been spilled over the decades between players and fans of each franchise when they faced off.

While Eagles fans possibly may not lustily boo McNabb Sunday, they will hiss at the uniform he is wearing. While the media poses the question as to much of the booing will be directed at McNabb himself, there may be a few signs ignoring the rivalry and thanking the quarterback for being a legend for their team.

The thought that McNabb wants to prove Reid wrong for trading him is certainly feasible, but the Redskins defense will have to face a reinvigorated Michael Vick. Vick leads the NFL in yards per rushing attempt and is completing a career best 60.7 percent of his passes. Philadelphia has also rallied around him in his return to NFL relevancy.

Win or lose, Eagles fans will still go home with the memories McNabb made wearing their jersey. How they choose to honor and cherish those memories will certainly be shown Sunday in front of the rest of the world.

2. smeags

smeags militant geek

ZzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzz you lost me at "eagles fans booed him at the draft"

3. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The truth lost you?

I'm curious to see how the Philly fans welcome McNabb...

4. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Good blog but would me more interesting and relevant if you would have waited to release it after he gets booed

5. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Eagles fans hate the truth, Sweets.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

its not the truth.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

don't you have a big surprise you need to be working on ?

7. Flacco2MasonTD

Flacco2MasonTD ಠ_ಠ

I'm sure he'll get booed but hopefully not for the whole game, McNabb has always seemed like one of the good guys in the NFL.

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

he should hear more cheers than boos before the initial whistle. after that he gets booed everytime he steps on the field.

9. thaboss318

thaboss318 Rookie

honestly...we are talking about Eagles fans here...the eagles are notorious for having some of the most ruthless fans in all of sports...I'm expecting them to be pretty loud with the boos...and everytime he takes a sack or gets hit...they will probably cheer

10. ragman

"Revenge is a dish best served cold."

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

Exactly.

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

in other words you've got nothing.

12. ragman

That's what you think!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

13. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

14. smeags

smeags militant geek

yes i am, the statement is always used in an effort to make it seem as if all eagles fans booed him at the draft when in fact it was a handful of dopes taken there by a radio station that did not even come close to representing what most fans here thought.

played out, misleading comment. but it's the lazy and easy thing to start with.

15. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

Just for arguments sake he said he was booed by Eagles fans which technically he was right. He would have been wrong had he said he was booed by all Eagle fans. Many of the Eagles fans at the draft did in fact boo the selection and the video provides evidence as such.:icon_cheesygrin: Anyway, I'm just fuelin the fire and havin some fun. I think the Eagles made a mistake letting him go, but I don't think he would have ever won a superbowl in Philly either!

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

hahahahahahaha - no.

i have said it before and i'll repeat it in this thread, i'll be wearing my 5 jersey one last time this sunday.

17. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

Face it, the offense will probably do work, but the defense will most likely lose this game.

18. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

The whole boo thing is so dumb to talk about the new york knicks boo whoever they draft every single year but nobody says knicks fans are ruthless lol.

19. smeags

smeags militant geek

mcnabb was treated a thousand times better than jawroski was.

20. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

This is exactly how I will be acting on Sunday.