NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell Supports European Expansion

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Football is in the land of futbol to stay - and with an even bigger presence if NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has his way. When the San Francisco 49ers take on the Denver Broncos at Wembley Stadium on Sunday, they'll be the latest teams that went across the Atlantic to do their part in helping the league grow its international fan base. And despite the long travels and disrupted team schedules such a trip brings, the NFL is charging ahead with plans to increase the number of games it plays overseas. This Sunday marks the fourth regular-season game to be played in London, and Goodell said the success of the previous three sellouts has buoyed his hopes to succeed with his ultimate expansion goal - having a full-time franchise in London. ''Each year, the different barometers indicate that our popularity continues to rise,'' Goodell said at an annual sports conference the NFL organizes together with The Economist magazine in London. ''I think the next step will be multiple games (in Europe). And if that's successful then I think the idea of a franchise here is realistic.'' He just has to get the players and teams on board first, which may not be all that difficult.

Source: Associated Press

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010
  2. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

Can we put a Hitman out on this commissioner guy?

3. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

One morning I hope he wakes up in one of Jigsaw's death traps

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

anyone else find it strange that, right now, the league and owners are trying to convince everyone that there are some organizations here in the U.S. that are not making any money yet they're talking about expanding in Europe?

5. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

no crap huh.....nothing agiants our pals across the pond but this would not be good....IMO

6. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

I couldn't agree more. The only way interest could be maintained is to have a touring European team, and that would be a logistical nightmare to say the least.

Until lightspeed travel is invented, the 32 teams should be kept in North America...

7. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Agreed. Goodell is only thinking about $$$, and not about the logistics it would take for various teams to play there.

8. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

of cour$e he doe$

9. I'm on the other side of the pond and I truly hope London (or any other city outside North America for that matter) doesn't get their own NFL franchise. Almost every British NFL fan I know also agrees with me on this.

As much as I'd love to see a pro football (note pro, not NFL) British team, Goodell is a fool if he believes that having an NFL franchise outside of North America is a viable option. The whole process would be a logistical nightmare. The travelling difficulties has already been alluded to but on top of that is the team really gonna be competitive? Top free agents would be unwilling to move to a country thousands of miles away & draft picks wouldn't be best pleased about playing there either.

More importantly, I don't think the NFL is popular enough over here yet. Of course, the international series has been very popular but that's just one game a year. I'd be very surprised if even a tenth of the attendance at Wembley would purchase season tickets for a London Franchise. Bear in mind that nearly all the fans have already got a team to follow in the US & most likely wouldn't change allegiances. I know I'd be still be a Charger fan even if London did get a franchise.

I'd love to see the return of NFL Europe but the sad truth is is that it wasn't financially viable and it would never be until football becomes more popular (which it is, but only steadily) & until we actually have more countrymen playing the sport & actually being good at it. Anyway, that's just a few reasons why I don't think it would work but there's plenty more.

Sorry for writing so much. Goodell infuriates me. He's in Trafalgar square tomorrow. I hope the pigeons crap all over him.

10. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

The reason the NFLE failed, was the way the NFL run the league. One reason was the huge player turnover. Logical for a farm league, but if you want to run a profit league you have to run it in another way. Another one was that we had 5 teams here at Germany for the last seasons, bc the league realized that we have a growing intertest, but overkilled it with the number of teams. They relied on US market based habits, ignoring that they won't work over here.
    Well, I want the NFLE back too, but it must be improved and more dedicaded to the European market.

Is there a way you can drop a ton of pigeoncrap on him? :icon_cheesygrin:

11. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

You know what would be a good solution to this? Bring the Pro Bowl back AFTER the Super Bowl and try and move that over to Wembley or somewhere else. Then instead of seeing 2 of the worst teams in football they would have the all stars of the league and might actually get people into the arena.

12. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

That's as boring as the presaeson games. Just saying....