New Deal For Eagles WR DeSean Jackson On The Horizon?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by ravenfan52, Nov 7, 2010.

1. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

DeSean Jackson sought a new deal after last season's duel Pro Bowl appearance -- he was on a very similar path as Chris Johnson, becoming an elite player in the NFL during his rookie deal and seeking additional money before a potential lockout. Jackson, however, declined to make a lot of noise out of training camp and instead showed up and played football with no additional cash in hand. Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer believes that Jackson's recent concussion (cause on the play in which Dunta Robinson knocked him unconscious) may help expedite a deal -- and that it could come "sooner rather than later." McLane points out that the Eagles like November as a month to give new money (both Brent Celek and Winston Justice got deals from the Eagles then), and it would go a long way to comforting Jackson, who Philadelphia believes is a long-term answer at wide receiver. That also means you shouldn't expect to see too much of Jackson being put in harm's way, at least until he gets a new deal or some sort of restructured cash.

Source: CBS Sports

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

A concussion will expedite a deal. Interesting.

3. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

This just needs to happen already. Lock the man up.

4. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Seems rare that we agree lately but.... I agree

5. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I'm always afraid the little guy is gonna get hurt, but definitely lock him up. Dude's a baller.

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

no question jackson is a good receiver. it's a bit disturbing how often he can be shut down and just disappear for an entire game, though. if he is seeking brandon marshall or andre johnson-type money, he shouldn't get it.

it would only expedite a deal on jackson's end.

7. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Thing is...whenever he "disappears" Maclin has a huge game because of all the defense's attention that D Jax commands

8. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Lol no Eagle can do wrong

9. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Yup. If D-Jax isn't open, plenty of other people usually are.

10. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Sure cause I never say anything bad about any eagles. :icon_rolleyes:
    Injury bug is definitely a concern as is his immaturity/showboating IMO though he has tuned that down this year. I worry it might come raging back once he gets a contract. I am just correctly pointing out that a lot is being made of his disappearing like he's Randy Moss just half assing it for huge stretches when it has more to do with how much attention he gets from opposing D's.

11. CaptainStubing

eh, maybe Maclin is getting a few more catches when desean disappears, but maclin is not helping them win games when desean can't get deep and is shut out of the end-zone.

over the last season and a half since maclin joined the team, the eagles are 3-6 when desean is kept out of the endzone. when desean scores, they are 12-1. when desean can't get deep on a team, he becomes a very pedestrian receiver. he has trouble getting off the line and getting open on short routes to get key first downs and sustain drives.

jackson is a good receiver and should get money equivilant to an average #1 wr but nowhere near tops-in-the-league wr money.

12. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Damn you for stat smacking me! I can't say I disagree with anything you said.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

On Jackson's end...but we know how the Eagles operate.

14. CaptainStubing

aw, crap, don't give up on me .......... just throw this rebuttal at me:

"Yes, Captain, right now DeSean's game is somewhat one-dimensional but keep in mind that DeSean is still very young and will improve his short game, therefore becoming a well-rounded receiver. He is on the verge of becoming a complete, top 5 wide receiver and should be compensated as such!"

And I believe there is some truth to this. I don't view DeSean as a Randy Moss-type that only plays when he wants. I think DeSean enjoys the game and is working to get better. If his work ethic drives him to improve his short game, there may come a time in the future where he IS a legit top 5 guy that can do it all.

15. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

I'm glad you believe that.... I do not.

16. CaptainStubing

do you think it is a physical barrier to improving his short game or a mental (toughness) barrier?

17. smeags

smeags militant geek

yes we do, they always sign good young talent to extentions.

18. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Physical. I don't see him ever excelling at getting off the line into a short rout and not getting injured, but I'm also ok with that. That's what he have Maclin, Avant, and Celek for.

19. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

DeSean doesn't need to catch many short routes. Avant and Maclin are especially good at slants and 10 yarders. And you got Celek, too.

DeSean knows his role: deep plays and the occasional reverse. And he does it well.

Certainly not top 5 WR money, but like Cap said, #1 wideout money for sure.

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

My point is they're never in a "rush" to do so. They end result is that they do and no doubt will sign Jackson. But a concussion isn't speeding things up for the Eagles.