Steelers LB James Harrison Fined $25K For Roughing The Passer

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by Sweets, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison has been fined $25,000 for his roughing the passer penalty on Buffalo Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports. Harrison was flagged on the late third-quarter hit. Three plays later, Fitzpatrick completed a short screen pass to running back Fred Jackson, who rumbled 65 yards for a touchdown and Buffalo's first points of the game. The oft-fined Harrison lost his appeal of $95,000 in fines on Monday. His latest FedEx envelope brings his season total up to $120,000.

Source: macsfootballblog

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

lol...

That's some crazy coin for playing hard.

3. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

On a legal hit? Comeon now this is getting a bit ridiculous.

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I don't even need to see the hit to know that this one is bullcrap.

5. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

They said he hit the qb high, but I've watched it a few times and the Riddell of the helmet is in Fitzpatricks chest, not the crown of it, and it didn't hit his helmet. Oh well, not my money and he's not suspended so I'm good. I still feel we are being targeted in certain ways, it can't be proven though sadly.

6. Evaporator

Evaporator Rookie

he should just sign his paycheck over to fine happy comish . its a shame the game is being ruined by not letting the defense play the game like its meant to be played . :word03:

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

HE should at the very least be allowed to select the charity it goes to...

8. fdsannie

fdsannie Rookie

They said it was because his helmit went into his chest! Where exactly can they hit. This one was ridiculous. Another question I have is why he did not get fined last week? Was it because the officiating was so bad ?:tsk:

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

I thought it was because it slid up to Fitzpatrick's chin...lol.

10. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

the $125k in fines is a very small fraction of what the dude has made this year. i think he makes about $9 mill a year so since we are 2/3 of the way through the season, dude has made about $6 mill already. He's paid a whopping 2% of his salary in fines.

these fines are never about the money. It's more about the player being singled out that he's doing something 'wrong' according to the league and that's what harrison has more of a problem with.

11. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

a few of those fines are bogus IMO, I didn't see anything wrong with some of those hits. I don't care how much someone makes, if the calls are wrong then no matter what the fine I'd be pissed about it.

12. CaptainStubing

i agree that it's more about the principle of the thing regardless of how much money it is. a lot of people just freak out at the thought of $125k when it's really no different than you or I having to put a new transmission in our car. yeah, it sucks, but it's just a small fraction of our income in the big picture.

13. Stinger75

Stinger75 It's Showtime, Folks!

This fine is the same amount that Johnson and Finnegan were fined for dropping the gloves and going at it. RIDICULOUS!

14. nixaler

nixaler Pro Bowler

I just think the league is picking on him because he is voicing his opinion very strong.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

$125K is $125K...it's a lot of money to everyone...even Harrison. If he makes $9M a year (which I think I read it's more like $3.5 for this season,) $125K is a ton of cash. That's college education money for his kids. That's food and housing for his family. Regardless of what percentage of his money it is, it's a lot of money.

If he makes $9M a season, he sees about $5.85 after taxes. Take his agents cut out of that, and it's much less than the $9M per season you say he "makes."

To say it's not a lot of money is silly.

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

According to how the fines are being distributed, Harrison could tackle Massoquoi "legally," rip his helmet off, punch him in the face and get fined less. lol...

17. CaptainStubing

i was basing the $9 mill off of his average yearly pay from the big contract he got about 2 years ago. a lot of it was probably a signing bonus but the contract averaged $9 mill i believe.

and, $125k is a ton of cash, but, c'mon man. it is absolutely no different from a % standpoint than me getting a bullcrap d.u.i. after having 2 beers and needing to hire a lawyer to make sure it never goes on my permanent record. yes, i would be pissed and it would cost me about 2% of my annual income, but it's not like they're taking an entire year's worth of income from the guy. It's a very small %.

Now, whether or not any/all of the fines are justifiable is a completely different discussion and some of them have been questionable but the amounts of these fines to the coaches and players are NOT back-breakers considering their income levels.

18. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Totally freaking ridiculous, not just RIDICULOUS!

Goodell and co. have any freaking idea what they are doing?

19. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

He could probably get a little support if he wrote Goodell a huge check with a snazzy memo line like "This should cover me for a while."

Not mine of course, for obvious reasons, but probably someone.

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

The percentage of his fine doesn't matter. $125K is a ton of cash no matter how much Harrison makes. If he makes $2 Billion a year, his $125K buys the same amount of crap as the next guys $125K. How does anyone know what is and isn't significant to James Harrison? I'm sure if you ask him, it's significant. Probably one of the reasons he contemplated "retirement." It's not like he's going to be making that "$9 million a year" for the rest of his life...

I laugh when people say crap like like that. "It's only a little %-tage of his actual salary."