Jon Gruden To Replace Browns Head Coach Eric Mangini?

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by SRW, Dec 19, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Dan Pompei of the National Football Post writes that it’s beginning to look like Eric Mangini may be replaced by Jon Gruden in Cleveland. All it will take is maybe $7 million a year. It’s believed that the Browns job may be the only one that really interests Gruden. Browns president Mike Holmgren knows Gruden well from their days together in Green Bay and San Francisco. NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reported Thursday night that "it will likely take a strong finish for Mangini to keep his job and that evaluations are ongoing."

Source: National Football Post

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

3. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Yesssssssss

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I really don't know how I feel about this. Gruden's a real smart dude and would probably be a solid coach who's committed to the team.

But I always thought he was a total dbag in Tampa and the way he dealt with his players. At least right now though, that's not the guy you see on MNF.

My problem is that the team is playing hard every week Mangini and just not getting it done. I didn't like him as a hire, but his system had seemed to be working this year. He needs to improve, I'm just not sure he's the right guy to pin everything bad on this season.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

[Gruden >> Mangini]< Box of Rocks.

6. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Mangenious has sent the browns in the right direction. He needs more time. Gruden would send em right back the other way.

7. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

Not with Holmgren running the front office. I think Holmgren + Gruden will be a good combo. Remember they used to coach together.

8. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

McCoy has done well so far. But if they put Gruden in charge he will ruin him.

9. WarEagle

WarEagle Team Veteran

Gruden is a good coach, but he's a Dictator. And his offense, which is pretty decent, is one of the most difficult to learn in all of football. The language he uses for his plays, alone, will set McCoy back a year, to a year and a half. I can remember Brad Johnson and Brian Griese both in different interviews, different years, commenting on how difficult the language of Gruden's offense is to learn.

10. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Gruden doesn't have the patience to develop a QB he WILL bring a veteran QB with him. And yes, he's a c**t when it comes to dealing with his players.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's lose/lose...lol. I'll endorse either one for the Browns...

12. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns &amp;lt; Deer/Headlights

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is a team that still has a pretty big talent gap that is hanging with teams every week. Remember they only have 3 of their last ten first round picks on their roster now. They just need another draft or two like this year. Plus, it's borderline goobered to start over again unless there's a clear need. Forget turning the corner. The Browns want to start over every time they start to see the corner.

13. agreed with everyone here. Mangini deserves more time.

14. kenman923

kenman923 Rookie

I think they should give Mangini one more year. I could see Gruden going to Tennessee or Carolina. The Browns, definitely, if they decide to part ways with Mangini.

15. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i tend to agree with ward on this one. i think mangini is doing about as well as he can do, which isn't great, but i also don't think the gruden towards the end of his tenure with the bucs was a very good h.c.

having said that, if gruden has learned from his mistakes and will just focus on coaching and get back to what made him a good coach early on in his career, he would probably be an improvement.

16. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Does anyone think Gruden's ego could possibly have gotten any smaller then when he left coaching by being on MNF?