WR Donte Stallworth Receives Ravens Ed Block Courage Award

Discussion in 'Baltimore Ravens' started by Sweets, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Decked out impeccably in a gray sweater, dress shirt, tie and slacks, Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Donte' Stallworth spoke in a quiet, serious tone. When Stallworth was done with his opening remarks after being introduced as the Ravens' Ed Block Courage award winner, his eyes were wet. It was an emotional afternoon for Stallworth at the Baltimore Sports Legends Museum in downtown Baltimore, receiving an award voted on by his teammates and given to him for how he has handled his involvement in a terrible tragedy that cost a man his life. "It’s always special to get voted for something by your teammates," Stallworth said. "Those are the guys that, other than family and guys that have wives and children, you spend the most time with. You really get to know them really well. "I think it really speaks volumes for the guys in the locker room. It really makes me feel good to know that they see the type of person that I am and the type of person that I’m working on to become." Only a year ago, Stallworth accidentally killed Miami construction worker Mario Reyes when he struck him with his car while driving under the influence of alcohol on a South Beach causeway following a night of partying at glitzy nightclubs. The consequences of that incident were significant, costing a family man his life. Wracked with guilt, Stallworth went to jail for 24 days and was suspended for an entire season by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Source: National Football Post

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

Only in the NFL!!

3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

He made a humongous mistake that can shake anyone to the core, but from everything I've seen and read from him, he seems like a really good person. I know some will never forgive him for what he did, but I have no doubt that his intentions were not to hurt anyone. Many years ago I made the mistake of driving drunk and I got a well deserved DUI. I know what kind of person I am though and I was fortunate that it didn't end the way it did for him.

1 person likes this.
  4. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

The Ed Block Courage Award is an annual award presented to selected players in the National Football League (NFL), who are voted by their teammates as role models of inspiration, sportsmanship, and courage.

To add to my point!!! This award isn't worth a crap when someone like this guy wins it! Pathetic that he even got votes!! This is a disgrace to the NFL and the players that voted for him are a disgrace

5. DawkinsINT

So you think the award should go to someone who hasn't ever made any mistakes?

6. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Everyone makes mistakes, it's what you do after the mistake that defines you as a person.

1 person likes this.
  7. DawkinsINT

This. Rep.

8. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

A mistake? Are you kidding me? He killed someone. He has millions and still decided to drive. Do you consider him a role model? Whats he showing kids? If your rich and an athlete you don't need to worry about consequences because rules don't apply to you. What did he inspire? Inspire to be a rich spoiled athlete so you can get away with murder? Courage? What did he do that was so couragous? Go out and make more money after killing someone? Give me a break man. This guy doesn't deserve this award. This has nothing to do with remorse or he knew he was wrong etc etc!! Ask yourself if good ole Dante killed someone you love would you be so willing to say he deserves it?

9. DawkinsINT

I can't say for sure since he didn't kill anyone that I love, but I know my own personality enough that I think I would forgive him. His teammates feel that he deserves this, and they are closest to him other than his family. I think that means something.

10. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

It was an accident, a horrific, should have never happened accident but an accident nonetheless, of course if it was one of my loved ones I'd be devastated but if any of you can honestly say you never did anything that you shouldn't have done and by the grace of God something didn't happen then you need to forgive people who make mistakes, not forget but forgive. He didn't get into his car thinking, heheheh I'm hecked up and now I'm going to drive really fast and see who I can kill on my way home. Sure many times you see rich and influential people get treated differently than others, it's part of our culture sad as it is, I'm not saying he deserves the award but I don't know enough about the situation to say he doesn't. I'm not so innocent and above anyone to think that I've been perfect in my life either and if I ever make a mistake that takes another persons life I just hope that I can be forgiven as well. Just my 2cents.

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

hey, you didn't kill anyone again, here's an award for your efforts.

12. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

You don't know if he killed someone you love you'd be ok with him serving 24 hours in jail and winning a courage award the next year? Forgivness has nothing to do with this. Read what the award is. Is he really deserving? Come on man!!

13. DawkinsINT

He served 24 days, not hours. I understand your point of view, but I can also see the point of view of his teammates.

I personally don't feel that Donte thinks that he's gotten one over on everyone. I think he's had many sleepless nights and nightmares and will continue to have them his entire life.

14. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

An accident is your tire blowing out and you losing control of you car and hitting someone. This has nothing to do with me forgiving this guy. He didn't kill my loved one I have no reason to forgive. How do you drive to a bar, drink, and then not know you should be driving? I've been hecked up more times than I can remember, but I always know not to drive. I don't make millions and I can afford a freaking cab or call a friend so why couldn't he? I'm not innocent and not above anyone, but obviously he is. I mean if I killed someone drinking and driving I'd still be in jail. This is what pisses me off. The normal hardworking average person would be hammered in this situation. Also, read what the award is. He doesn't deserve it. Is he going award talking to people about the effects of driving drunk? He is talking to kids etc etc? If he is does he do it because he realizes he hecked up or because it's court ordered? Stallworth winning this award is a joke!! However to ccclear up how if feel, if he or anyone kills anybody in my family driving drunk I won't forgive you and jail will be the safest place for you. God has mercy and forgives...I don't. My favorite saying :icon_cheesygrin: Along with "its not my place to judge, but its my place to arrange the meeting:icon_evil:

15. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

Sorry 24 days. I don't understand at all the point of view of his teammates. Again I ask, what courage, role model, and inspiration has he shown? Killing someone because you hecked up, continuing your career, and living with that heck up doesn't make you someone with courage, doesn't make you a role model, and doesn't inspire. Terrible choice and I'm sure someone is much more deserving.

16. DawkinsINT

His teammates that are very close to him seemed to have answered that to those of us on the outside.

17. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Well you are a better person than a lot of us out there, maybe they should give you the award....

Gods not the one that has to live with the anger of not forgiving someone you do and if you say it's not your place to judge then why this?

I don't know Donte, I don't know if he stared at the ceiling night after night thinking about what his poor decision did to someone else and their family but his friends, family and teammates know him better than I.

I thought the award was about recipients who are selected by their teammates for team effort, as well as individual performance.

18. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

The Ed Block Courage Award is an annual award presented to selected players in the National Football League (NFL), who are voted by their teammates as role models of inspiration, sportsmanship, and courage. I'm not judging him on his decision to drink and drive. I'm disagreeing with him receiving the award and stating my reasons.

I really need to learn how to quote only certain parts of someones post:icon_cheesygrin:

19. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The Ed Block Courage Award | The Ed Block Courage Award Foundation

But no matter Red, I still love ya....:icon_redface:

20. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

It has nothing to do with forgiveness or a second chance. That isn't up to any of us or anyone on Earth. But I think it's a sensitive issue and they probably should have played it conservatively and not make a statement that everything is ok now.