Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew Received Death Threats Over Cutler Tweets

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Jaguars' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Pro Bowl running back Maurice Jones-Drew says he never meant to take a shot at Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler or question his toughness. The Jacksonville Jaguars star told The Associated Press on Monday that his tweet comparing Cutler to former Florida coach Urban Meyer was merely a joke -- one that clearly backfired. Jones-Drew said he was rooting for Cutler and the Bears in Sunday's NFC championship game, and when Cutler left in the third quarter, Jones-Drew thought it was the perfect time to poke fun at the Gators. "Hey I think the urban meyer rule is effect right now... When the going gets tough........QUIT," Jones-Drew posted on his Twitter page. Jones-Drew has received death threats and plenty of ill will from Bears' fans. The Bears also defended Cutler, who was diagnosed with sprained MCL on Monday. "I never attacked him, called him soft or a sore loser," Jones-Drew in a telephone interview Monday. "I never questioned his toughness. I think people took my joke out of context. I was taking at shot at Florida fans."

Source: NFL Fanhouse

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2011
  2. No reason whatsoever for Bears fans to sink that far......

3. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Yeah but don't talk crap about Urban Meyer MF'er!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Flacco2MasonTD

Flacco2MasonTD ಠ_ಠ

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhgwy9y5ttA]YouTube - A ni**a Moment[/ame]

5. hermhater

hermhater Guest

This story has way too many different directions to take...

I'll take the crazy one.

"Someone hacked my account and said he was sore and that's why the Bears lost!!!"

:moe:

6. bambam

bambam Rookie

Two things.. didn't MJD state that he played with a hurt knee all year? So that would mean that he was taking a jab at Cutler...

Secondly, the fans can burn Cutler's jersey but no one else better mention him at all??? that makes a lot of sense. I wonder how they feel now after finding out he did go back out but could barely get the ball past the line of scrimmage.

7. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Don Mcnabbbbbb?

8. hermhater

hermhater Guest

barely get the ball past the line of scrimmage. --------------------

1 person likes this.
  9. WOODDRIVER

WOODDRIVER Team Veteran

MJD was merely borrowing from Jim Rome, who goes on a (very funny) complete tangent. Among the example mentioned: "If at first you don't succeed...QUIT!", "If you fall off the horse...QUIT!"... I can't beleive that anybody would threaten somebody's life to defend Jay Cutler's toughness, possibly a bigger oxymoron than jumbo shrimp. How many times did we see Cutler mope back to the sidelines after a failed 3rd down conversion with his head down, hands stuffed in his fanny-pack pockets. From the shots I saw of the sidelines he wasn't doing ANYTHING to encourage or coach up his teammates. EVERYTHING about his Cutler's body language was a huge white flag. Why are they threatening MJD, I'll bet that HE was more involved in the game than #6!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  10. 86WARD

86WARD -

First of all it bullcrap that MJD is getting death threats...he has the right to say whatever the heck he wants over that Twitter. (Twitter...such a bad thing...lol.)

Secondly Wood, to say that Cutler wasn't doing ANYTHING to coach up or encourage his team is rather ignorant. A. There wasn't a camera on him the whole game so you have no idea who or what he was or wasn't coaching up - you've seen a couple 5-6 second clips of him and B. How do you know that Collins or Hanie want advice on the sidelines? I seem to recall that Cutler wanted NO help from Jake Plummer and didn't want help from Collins in Chicago. There are QB's in the league that get in a zone and don't want to talk to anyone...and don't want the coaching up rah, rah crap while in the game.

Look, I'm not a Cutler fan buy any means, I think he's overrated and average at best and I happen to believe he was doing a little more moping than helping, but I'm not crucifying the guy for it. We don't know the whole story from watching a few clips on TV.

11. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Death threats for making a joke about your teams quarterback? What a joke. Sensitive butt fans, need to be mad at their team for not beating the Packers, not mad at other players poking fun at their misfortune.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

From the same fanbase that was burning Cutler jerseys in front of little kids...lol...

Sensitive butt fans.

13. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

MJD is a freaking tool, first off he said he was comparing Cutler to Urban Meyer and it was a joke then after the firestorm hit he says
    Ummm, yes you did question his toughness you freaking tool.

14. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Sweets made the death threats ZOMG

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

i just think it's beyond funny that so many media guys like golic are ripping culter for this and yet tore into anyone that had the same questions about mcnabb's sideline demenor.

what has sanders said on this ? jamie dukes ? michael wilbon ? flip flopping pennsy gov ed rendell ?

16. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I just hate it when people say crap then recant their story later, if you said it than stand by your word ya cat.

17. WOODDRIVER

WOODDRIVER Team Veteran

Ward, you are right that you can't truly know the players' mindset throughout the game. Just look at all the heat Derek Anderson took for the clip of him laughing on the sidelines when the Cardinals were getting killed by the Niners during the Monday night game this year. However, with what we all did see last Sunday, and Cutler's well documented history, I still beleive that Cutler is a quitter. Dog-fighters will tell you that once a dog quits in the fighting ring, he is essentially useless and incapable of winning again, I truly beleive that Cutler is the same way.

18. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

people can say whatever they freaking want to on the internet or anywhere....

heres the real deal....

HOW MANY DEATH THREATS DID CUTLER GET? id bet a little more than ol MJD

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

I can agree with that. Love the back peddling that MJD has been doing as well as the coverage Tweet-gate is getting. Ridiculous...