Steelers Select Ohio State DE Cameron Heyward (Rd.1, No.31)

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by SRW, Apr 28, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

With the 31st overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Ohio State DE Cameron Heyward. A full-time starter the past two seasons, Heyward is a large, versatile defensive lineman who can be used in a variety of systems. Displays good first-step quickness, strength at the point of attack, and the ability to play off blocks. Heyward has been a forceful defender since stepping into the starting lineup as a junior. He is a defensive line prospect who offers tremendous potential for the next level and has the ability to start at several positions up front. The underrated Heyward is someone who should quickly produce at the next level.

Source: Sports Illustrated

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Like the pick a lot! Would love to see them come back in Round 2 and get a corner. Curtis Brown maybe sitting there for them or trade up and grab one...

3. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

Nice heckin pick seriously. He just looks and plays like a Steeler.

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Might not be the flashiest pick but I love him and think he's going to be a major contributor, he's perfect for a Steeler 34.

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Best pure 5 tech in the draft IMO

6. perfect pick

7. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Good pickup, we won't see him much this season. Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward the future of that line.

8. cover the spread

cover the spread beastin'

this dude is perfect for the Steelers. I really thought they would take a DB but this means another decade of nasty run defense.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think they can really address the CB spot if they want to in the second round tonight. There are still quite a few left and one of them could fall to the Steelers...

Harris
    Williams
    Ras-I
    Brown

I'd be happy with anyone of those guys...

I'm actually more interested in Heyward's pass defense skills...lol.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7qF6ioDj8U"]YouTube - Cameron Heyward 80 yd INT Return vs. Miami (9.11.10)[/ame]

10. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Hell of a pick, the one I was hoping they didn't make for obvious reasons. Great football player who will almost certainly be successful. IMO much safer than a corner would have been there.

11. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

All along i have viewed Cameron Heyward as the best 3-4 Defensive End prospect in the draft. He is easily one of the top 10 senior prospects and would fall around 10-12 in my overall ratings. He has elite intangibles, bloodlines, size, and commitment to the game. At 6-5 nearly 300 pounds he has both the length and bulk to be a true master of the 5 tech position, one of the hardest positions to play in a 34 defense.

He fell in the draft to slot 31 because other potential 5 techs such as JJ Watt. Cam Jordan, and Muhummad Wilkerson made it somewhat rare class of 34 lineman. All of them are better pass rushers than Heyward, but we already have a player in that mold in hood. What the steelers got here is a replacement for Aaron smith, something i would never have confidence in hood to become. Hood does have better pass rushing skills that have him very well suited for Keisels spot on the right side, making this pick even more perfect.

As a rookie i dont expect him to be anything more than a rotational player by design, but you never know with Smith and Keisels injuries he may get a considerable amount of playing time. Heyward makes the secondary better by a considerable amount, so those of you too concerned with drafting a corner just think about this....a player that benefits from a true 5 tech on the LE spot is the LOLB, so i would expect woodley (or whoever) to truly be much better in this scenerio than if it were hood. Hood has the ability to penetrate and get pressure, Heyward has the ability to stonewall blockers, sustain blocks, and collapse the pocket.

Seriously, a good day to be a steeler fan, lets hope im this excited after rounds 2 and 3

12. Crowned

Now all we need is a replacement for fat casey and we will be set on the line for years to come.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

Good write up K. If the value is similar, I'm still looking CB over OL. But the value has to be close.

I keep hearing they are looking for Casey's potential replacement in the middle rounds. Most likely day 3...

14. K Train

i would love kendrick ellis buti doubt they pick him, hes a rodhead.

powe would be perfect for our D imo.

i look for ras-i dowling, aaron williams, curits brown, rahim moore, marcus gilbert, ben ijalana, brandon harris, greg little, possibly lance kendricks as the 2nd round pick...trade ups are possible, i think harris may be there and while i dont think hes the best fit for what the steelers ask, the value there is great and the dude can ball out

15. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

Keisel is in his last year right? Is Aaron Smith still under contract? As for the best 5 tech in the draft I had it between him and Cam Jordan.

16. K Train

keisel is likely to be brought back and smith will probably retire after this year but they could get a MEAN rotation going with smith being a fragile full time player

17. Crowned

I want Ras-I if he's there, it's going to suck sitting through 30 more picks watching some good dbs drop off the board.

18. K Train

ras-i is and has been by far my favorite....just a perfect fit

19. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

He's going to my Niners dude haha. You have a good list of prospects but barring crazy picks in the 2nd round those guys can all be gone by the time your Steelers pick.

20. K Train

realisitically this has been a crazy draft...i didnt exepct heyward to be there.

i think harris will be there, as well as maybe gilbert. dont rule out a trade up for them to get their guy either....im listing guys i think they are targeting and are a good pick/value. i think theres gonna be some crazy reaches in the second