Packers LB Clay Matthews Says He Played Second Half Of 2010 Season On Broken Leg

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by BigBlueBruiser, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Green Bay Packers Pro Bowl linebacker Clay Matthews played the second half of the 2010 season and all of the postseason with a broken leg, the Green Bay Press-Gazette reported. Matthews, who had 13.5 sacks during the season and 3.5 more during Packers' run to the Super Bowl title, mentioned the injury while answering a question about how much the Packers will miss departed defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins, who signed with the Philadelphia Eagles. "I don’t make a big deal of it," Matthews said Tuesday. "(It happened) some time in the middle of the season. You can’t do anything about it. I was just taking practices off and showing up on gameday and giving it my all." Matthews was listed on the injury report every week from Week 9 through the NFC Championship Game as probable with a shin injury, which in fact was a lower-leg stress fracture. Jenkins' presence last season seemingly helped Matthews, who had 14 of his 17 sacks during the 15 games that Jenkins played. In the five games Jenkins missed because of injury, Matthews made just three sacks. "I also had a stress fracture in four of those games," Matthews said. "But nobody knows that. I had a stress fracture in my leg. A sore shin as you guys call it, but that’s all right. Obviously, I’m not making excuses. Cullen is a terrific athlete, and we’re definitely going to take a hit in our defensive line, but at the same time I think they have confidence in the guys coming up."

Source: NFL.com

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2011
  2. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

lets not be over dramatic or anything

3. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Why does Clay think this becomes relevant now?

4. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

This.

5. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Clay if it wasn't a big deal to you during 2010 why would you even think it's relevant or a big deal to mention it now...doofus

6. y2kbug

y2kbug Take the Gunga!

Maybe its the roids? I'm sure his sacks are gonna decrease this year drastically, and maybe there will be some correlation to the new HGH testing... After that whole Cushing testing positive wish suspension i always thought Matthews was next.

7. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

cause those matthews genes he has teamed with unreal work ethic muct have had nothing to do with it.

come on now, lets not reach

8. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

It's a damn good thing you are roided out of your mind. Otherwise, you might not have been able to walk on that broken leg.

9. mmehring

mmehring Cap'n Stabbin

You guys are ALL idiots. He was asked in an interview..its not like he just came out and said it. Not to mention hes NOT on roids. Haters gonna hate i guess.

10. mmehring

mmehring Cap'n Stabbin

This ^^^.

11. mmehring

mmehring Cap'n Stabbin

This is honestly one of the DUMBEST statements i think Ive EVER seen on here. Where has ANYONE questioned matthews natural talents and skill? I guess being good = steriod use now. darrelle revis must be on roids, or cullen jenkins, or maybe bj raji? Come on..lol you have VICK on your team and your gonna spread rumors about one of the top 5 pass rushers in the league when there isnt even a HINT of a possibility. He has records for the most sacks ever in the first two years as a player...you really think hes just gonna drop of the map? LOL.

12. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Keep personal insults to the Fight Club.

And, I don't see any "hating" going on. Just making an opinion based on this being..news that is irrelevant to the upcoming season.

13. YEAH DUDE!

YEAH DUDE! CHAMPION OF THE UNIVERSE!

[​IMG]

14. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Could it be that he went from special teams player to starting linebacker for USC in one offseason?

Could it be that he went from this
    [​IMG]

to this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LOL if you are gonna sit there and act like you watched every game and never questioned how this guy is so heckin' ripped. He looks like a man among boys out there, exactly like Cushing and Merriman did before they got busted.

If he is legitimately built like the heckin' Hulk, then kudos. I'm awfully impressed.

15. y2kbug

y2kbug Take the Gunga!

^^^This it exactly what i was talking about... i mean he went from' 165 Lbs from high school to being listed as 246. i mean really?!? Can someone really gain 80 Lbs of muscle with dedication and good genes? Or is there something in the USC water? I've seen his brother at training camp and believe me its not the genes cause his brother is muscular but he is no Hulk.

Just watch with the new HGH testing i can guarantee you that his performance will decline

16. mmehring

mmehring Cap'n Stabbin

Lol. Those pictures are rediculous. Its not like he did that over night..there is plenty of time between those photos...look at the hair length. Anyone with the passion and working with a strength and conditioning coach and/or personal trainer/dietician for that long can get like that.. i have plenty of friends that lift weights. All im saying is that this is how rumors start - and its bs. No one has ever even hinted at this stuff. I love how playing on a hurt leg immediately is grounds for suspecting HGH or Roids.

17. mmehring

mmehring Cap'n Stabbin

80 lbs over a college career plus working to get nfl ready? lol - seems impossible to me too :icon_rolleyes:

18. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

[​IMG]

Not even gonna waste my time if you think 'No one has ever even hinted at this stuff'.

19. mmehring

mmehring Cap'n Stabbin

All im saying is my senior year of highschool I was 6'3" and about 165. 3 years later, with weightlifting, Creatine, and protein shakes, weighed 226 pounds. I never took anything illegal. I just worked REALLY hard at becoming stronger. I don't appreciate the underlying message that in order to get bigger quick, the ONLY way you can do it is through cheating. It's just not true.

20. y2kbug

y2kbug Take the Gunga!

OK whatever you say, but i am still calling it that his stats this year will decline and i think it will have to do with the HGH testing passed in the new CBA.

And this is not a new rumor there has been speculations for a long time specially since his USC teammate Brian Cushing was suspended for 4 games