Colts QB Peyton Manning Will Not Play In 2011 Season's Opener

Discussion in 'Indianapolis Colts' started by Sweets, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Manning will not play Sunday in the season opener at Houston, bringing an end to his streak of 227 consecutive starts, including the playoffs. The Colts said 38-year-old Kerry Collins will get the start against the Texans. Manning has not been able to fully recover from neck surgery in May. During his streak, he has led the Colts to 11 playoff appearances, 11 double-digit win seasons, eight division crowns, two AFC titles and the first Super Bowl championship in the franchise’s Indianapolis era. The streak is the second longest among NFL quarterbacks behind only Brett Favre. “It’s going to be a little different without Peyton. He’s one of a kind,â€￾ coach Jim Caldwell said. “When you look across our league, most teams have had quarterbacks that have missed time. Ours has just been highly unusual.â€￾

Source: Associated Press

2. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

How unfortunate :icon_sad:

:icon_twisted:

3. cKlass

cKlass Rookie

I'm sure Texans fans are ecstatic.

4. nixaler

nixaler Pro Bowler

damn i really wanted to see him break favres streak...

5. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Im pretty bummed about it. The most important thing is that he gets healthy though.

6. Steve12

I just heard Steve Young on Sportscenter somehow compare Peyton Manning being out and Collins being in to Harry Potter after Albus Dumbledore died. I really don't like Steve Young sometimes.

7. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Miss week 3 as well.

Sincerely, SteelerNation

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Wouldn't mind seeing him miss Week 3, but I wouldn't be too afraid if he was there.

Gotta be weird for players like Saturday and Wayne. Saturday used to change protection schemes at the last minute based on Knowing Peyton...not gonna happen with the Captain at the helm.

9. Steve12

I think they play the Pats week 13 or something. He should be up to speed by then.

10. dpn

dpn 18to44

This is a very sad day.

This guy is a not only a great player but a great representative of the NFL. His recent donation to the Myra Kraft Foundation and private note to Bob Kraft is just one example. It was Kraft who released the story, not Manning. He does so much behind the scenes that most never hear about.

I wish him only the best. Hope he is back soon.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  11. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

Apparently there's rumors he had another surgery over the weekend and that he might be out for the season. If that's true not only could it be a season ender but potentially career ending.

Do the Colts try to tank and get Luck if Peyton is out?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  12. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

wow im dissappointed in this news. i really wanted him to get the record for most starts

13. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

This whole neck thing is reallllly tricky. I think they should try to find a replacement ASAP.

14. Rottstein

Rottstein Rookie

Garrard is available. At least he has more left in the tank than Collins

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm kind of surprised they didn't draft a QB this past season...not necessarily as the "replacement" but as someone to begin grooming in the COlts system.

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

Garrard is in a great situation right now. He's gonna get at least $4M a season and most likely more as soon as a starter gets injured. He'd be smart to wait a couple weeks...