NFL Wants Two Games In London Next Season

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

For those NFL teams who hate giving up a home game in order to fly overseas and play a tilt in front of European fans, it sounds like they’re going to be twice as disappointed next season. Daniel Kaplan of the Sports Business Journal reports that commissioner Roger Goodell told him that the NFL would like to play two games next season in Europe. According to Kaplan, he believes both games would be in London. For Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher, that probably doesn’t sound like a good idea, considering he said this in June when asked about playing in London this season: "No, I'm not excited to go to London,â€￾ he said. “I don't understand why they do that. ... I am not excited to go to London, I will say that. I can't imagine many players would be, considering the travel involved and disruption to their weekly schedule.â€￾

Source: CBSSports

2. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

Next thing you know it will be one every week.

3. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Not only will there not be two games, but there won't be any. Ticket sales are hugely down from previous years. Previous years tickets sold out within half hour...this year they are putting continuous adverts on NFL TV well over a month since sales commenced.

4. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

I hate Goodell.

5. UK 49er fan

UK 49er fan Rookie

Not only that, but apparently ticketmaster have been calling people on their database who they know have bought tix before for the NFL games but not this year and been offering them tix at good discounts. Don't look to good does it.

They talked about 2 games here before a couple years ago and it never happened. Can't see it this time either. Haven't the owners got to vote to agree just for any more games in London at all never mind 2 a year?.

6. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

What? Will the Jaguars only play two games at home? :icon_cheesygrin:

I told you from the begin, that the tickes sales will go down soon....

7. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

They even talked about a team and/or a SB at London.....

8. warwagon86

warwagon86 Irish Football Fans

seriously tho i love going to the London games....but the economy at the minute blows goats!

I mean yes I would love to spend 70 pounds on a ticket - then the 80 on return flights to London, and then the 100 for food and booze at the weekend! And another 70 for merch!

Or i could take that 320 and pay my rent and have 40 pounds for a week or so food shopping.....seriously NFL catch a freaking grip!

Do home fans pay 120 dollars for a ticket in america?? I highly doubt it!

Some food for thought Mr Goddell

9. TDJets72027

TDJets72027 Rex Ryan baby

NFL cares more about British fans than American fans.... surprised?

10. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

NFL didn't care about any fan. They care about $$$$$

11. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Depends, good seats at Sunlife in Miami are about 95 dollars a ticket.

12. warwagon86

warwagon86 Irish Football Fans

key phrase being good seats!

the season the saints came i got half way line tickets! 150 pounds and then something like 7 pounds booking fee

thats about 270 - 280 dollars just for the tickets

13. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Goodell, just stop, now.

14. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Yeah those tickets are more expensive too. I like endzone higher row. But regardless that is so over priced for everyone, and teams wonder why they get games blacked out.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm with you mj. I like those mid level endzone seats as well.

If they can't sell out one game, no chance they have two. One of the things that might get Goodell a pass on doing two could depend on the teams he puts over there. If it's a Pats/Cowboys game or Steelers/cowboys...something like this, those games could sell out. If he gets the 4 most popular teams matched up in some combination, he's got the possibility of selling out those games. But if it's a Panthers/Jaguars game or a Seahawks/Cardinals game, they ain't having the best chance of selling out and could be an Epic Fail.

I just hate the idea of having regular season games as an international game. Always have...

16. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Alright, let's spin that broken record again...
    It doesen't really matter what teams you send. The success of the 1st games was just bc it was something new and exiting, what brought a lot of non-football fans into the stadium. Thoses ppl walked away during the halftime and never returned. Continental European fans, ain't willing to spend like $500 for traveling, hotel, food and tix, only to see the "popular" teams. I wonder if I would, if the Packers came aross the pond...
    The same applies to a team at London, since fans over here already have their team and won't jump on the London Goodells bandwagon.
    Goodell wanted so badly success with the international games, so he deep sixed the NFLE and made the same mistake the NFL made over years with the NFLE - He never looked at the European market and expected the same passion for football here, like it is in the US. Epic fail....

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

You don't think the teams make a difference at all? I'm obviously not there, you are, so I'll take your word for it. I would think the teams could make some difference. But maybe not...or maybe not enough.

Whatever it is, like you say, epic fail and to do two games...worse.

18. UK 49er fan

UK 49er fan Rookie

Like Olly says most fans here already have their teams and wouldn't automatically jump onto a bandwagon London team. Too bloody expensive to go to all home games anyway and I live right close.

But it that same reason why it does make a difference what teams get sent (imo) cos the majority of the crowd at any London game are going to be neutral fans. Except maybe when patriots came here.

Latest fiasco with the game tix is pissing off a lot of regular fans who have gone every year so far tho.

19. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

It won't be a huge difference, bc in our soccer first Europe, a lot of people didn't even know the Patriots or Steelers. Dolphins or Raiders are more popular, bc of their logos...

I wouldn't buy tix for a Pats/Steelers game too :icon_mrgreen:

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

What if it was a dolphins raiders game. I was just using steelers pats cowboys as an example. If they took the top 4 teams in popularity in Europe would they fair better? Obviously they couldn't do that every year...