Winless Colts Dismiss Idea To Tank Season To Draft Stanford QB Andrew Luck

Discussion in 'Indianapolis Colts' started by BigBlueBruiser, Oct 10, 2011.

1. The Indianapolis Colts lost their fifth straight game on Sunday, falling 28-24 to the Kansas City Chiefs. Some Indianapolis fans have already given up on the 2011 season and want the team to do the same, using local radio shows to urge a push for next year's presumed No. 1 overall draft pick, Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, but don't tell that to the team's veterans, as a sportswriter for the Indianapolis Star learned when he asked star Colts defensive end Robert Mathis if the team should write off the season and try to draft Luck. "You really want me to address that?" Mathis asked. "You have to understand we're professionals. We don't go through training camp, minicamp, OTAs, offseason training just to tank a year for a college player that's unproven. To hell with that. I'm not tanking anything. You can write that. I'm not sucking for nobody." Veteran Colts receiver Reggie Wayne echoed Mathis' comments. "It's ridiculous, man. We've got 12 games left. Who knows what's going to happen? We don't even know if Luck is what everybody says he is. One thing we do know is there is a big difference between college and the pros. You don't know what's going to happen until he makes it to the next stage," Wayne said. "Until then, we have our quarterbacks. We're going to go rock with them." Curtis Painter played well in his second start for the Colts on Sunday, completing 15 of 27 passes for 277 yards with two touchdowns. Painter, who stepped in for Kerry Collins after Collins suffered a concussion and was ineffective for the team's first three games, told the Star that Colts fans "have been good all along in some tough situations for us, but they've been really great all year. I expect the same."

Source: NFL.com

2. You can just imagine the atmosphere in the Colts locker room if they in fact draft Luck next year...........

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Goodell's head would explode if he going out a team was tanking the season. Instant lottery...lol.

4. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Colts could draft a QB in the second round and develope him, they need an O-line.

5. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

People are finally seeing how good Peyton made that O-line.

6. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Could you imagine the "Luck" of the Colts getting Manning and then Luck as there franchise QB's

Mannings injury would be akin to David Robinson going down, and the Spurs turning into the #1 pick and Tim Duncan

7. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

People are assuming a lot about Luck. There's no guarantee he comes in and succeeds but everyone is talking like it's not a question.

8. Jihad Joe

I mean with any college player there is always a bust potential. However it isnt hype or smoke when people say he is the best QB prospect since Manning, he really is.

9. Steve12

Ryan Leaf was can't miss too.

10. Jihad Joe

Horrible comparison. Leaf was one of the better passing prospects ever, however he didnt have it upstairs. Didnt have the leaderships traits, the recognition skills and mental toughness to be an NFL QB

That is a major basis on the Luck/Manning comparison. His brain and leadership ability

11. Steve12

I'm not saying he won't. It just seems like people are getting carried away assuming he's going to be great. I don't doubt him, I'm just not going to name him king of the universe just yet.