Update: IndyCar Driver Dan Wheldon Dies In A Horrible Crash

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sports' started by Dragonite, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

Word coming out of Yahoo right now is that Dan Wheldon is in the hospital after this crash but Indy Called a Drivers meeting and there were a bunch of images of Danica crying so speculation is Wheldon may be dead.

Video of the Crash below, it's VERY bad beware

Horrific 15 Car Crash 2011 IndyCar World Championships in Las Vegas 300 - YouTube

From Yahoo.

Source: Wheldon hurt in huge crash at Vegas - IRL - Yahoo! Sports

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
  2. Dragonite

Update: Indycar just announced Dan Wheldon is dead at the age of 33 in a horrific car crash in Vegas.

3. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

RIP.

Horrible news.

4. Dragonite

RIP Dan.

Its a shame I only watched indy for him and Danica...he was a bright star in indycar. He will surely be missed.

5. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Holy crap no way. I can't believe this. I don't watch Indy Car but I knew Wheldon. This is awful news. RIP.

6. Dragonite

This is going to bring more changes to the way races are run, this is on the same level of the loss of Earnhardt was to NASCAR its going to bring about major improvements to the sport but it sucks that some tragedy always preceeds important and neccessary changes to safety

7. Steve12

Everything's fine until somebody dies. Earnhardt was my hero as a kid, and still is. It's a shame someone has to die like this to make changes.

8. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

From St. Pete. My age. Make me wonder if I ever met him and just didn't know it.

9. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Absolutely shocking news. Whilst IndyCar isn't big in this country, Dan is held in high regard throughout the fanatical motorsport community and this is a big loss.

10. Dragonite

Its just really upsetting watching that video, the announcers basically predicted the crash and so did the drivers, they knew something was going to happen. Too many cars to fast to close.

11. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

They were just saying that Wheldon was really excited because next season they were going to be debuting a new, safer car. Talk about awful. I don't know who the announcer was either but they made me tear up.

"People always ask me why I sign off with "Till We Meet Again." I say that because "goodbye" seems so final. Goodbye Dan Wheldon."

12. Steve12

Im on my phone so I cant watch it. I couldn't watch the Earnhardt crash for years after it happened.

13. Dragonite

Whats absoloutely eerie about this video footage is they were on board WITH Wheldon when he crashed...

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

HORRIBLE! RIP...

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

16. Dragonite

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Awful.

18. Dragonite

I am honestly speechless, they do so much to make this sport safe and this still happens...

19. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Like I've always said...open wheel cars have no business racing in super speedways. Open wheel cars should only race in road courses where the speeds are not constantly high, and cars don't run that close. There's a reason why the last F1 fatality was 17 years ago, and in Indy Car there seems to be a dead driver every 2 or 3 years.

GodSpeed Dan Wheldon...

20. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

It is the 12 car, not the 77. I hope they never release the footage from the 77. That'd honestly be awful. Will Power was honestly VERY lucky with that. He hit the wall bottom first instead of his head side being there so that's ultimately what saved him. Wheldon hit head first against the safety net I believe and that's what ultimately killed him. Had he hit the same way Power did he may still be alive.

And not that this is anything to laugh at, but when I hear Will Power's name I chuckle a bit. Get it, Will Power? Ah heck.

RIP 77

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011