2011 World Series: Rangers Vs Cardinals Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by themush, Oct 18, 2011.

1. smeags

smeags militant geek

* the east / west conferences in basketball & hockey do not play each other that much. they only play twice sometimes once. the vast majority of their games are played within their respective leagues just like baseball.

point being overall record is the best, again not the pefect but best option in deciding HFA.

* i am not trying to say HFA is the ultimate decider but it certainly plays a big part. it does not only matter if the series goes seven. fact is the team that wins game one overwhelmingly wins the WS and the stats show that being home first plays a huge part in that.

to me you should be rewarded if your team finishes with the best overall record by having HFA and having that decided by an all-star game is a joke. the best option is overall record. :dunno: i wasnt trying to have a huge debate over this. just stating that using the all-star game to decide things is the worst idea i see.

all that said yes, last night's game was excellent. both teams seem to have bucked the trend that great starting pitching beats out hitting during their prior two series. i mean look at the era's for the starters.

i'm actually torn on who to root for. i have family in texas that are 1st and foremost philly fans but do root for the rangers 2nd in baseball. also i am not a larussa fan but man he has definitely showed that unlike with uncle cholly you cant just simply stay status quo with your roster and moves come playoff time.

ultimately though like you dawk i guess i have to support the NL.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Don't NBA & NHL teams play every team in the other conference? MLB does not. If series don't go 7 games, then it shows that HFA doesn't mean much, because someone has won at least once on the road.

I don't think HFA is that big a deal. Look at the upsets this year alone from teams without it.

I kind of like the idea of the Cards winning it for a couple of other reasons besides NL:
    1. Rangers fans are Cowboys fans.
    2. When the Phils lose to the WS champs, I convince myself it makes them the 2nd best team in baseball.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

we are splitting hairs at this point on what HFA means. stats could be used to prove both opinions here if we try hard enough. again my stance is simple - overall record is the best option i can think of on deciding HFA. it makes the most sense. the all-star game option is the worst IMO. what teams do with HFA is really a different discussion.

yeah i hear you on the cowboys fan conection which definitely plays a part in me rooting for the cards and like you i also convice myself the phils are 2nd best if the WS champs knocked them out.

that and i hate the DH rule and love seeing these AL managers have to actually use strategy.

4. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I hate how the umpires SUCK. That's what I hate. 2 hecked calls cost the rangers the game last night. Berkman's 2 RBI single was a foul ball and Beltre's hit his foot. FREAK the Cardinals!

5. yisman

yisman The Ambivalent One

Craig vs. Ogando in key spots the first two games

craig delivers both times with rbi single

6. DawkinsINT

I had to go to bed before the 9th. I had a feeling that the Rangers would come back.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Rangers win the next two...?!?

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

what a series so far. amazing how the starters have suddenly not sucked.

9. yisman

epic fail by punto

also what pujols did really hurt

10. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

What's up with Pujols? As soon as the game ended, he went to the locker room, showered, dressed, and got out of there. No word to the press. Nothing.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

He had a lot of "family" at the game and they had to get up early today to go to Texas...lol...according to Berkman...

12. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Pujols just murdered that.

13. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Pujols is on roids. Screw the Cardinals. And Screw Tim McCarver and Joe Buck. Screw.

14. Crowned

15. yisman

Pujols continuing to tee off.

Now has a three run homer and a two run homer tonight.

14-6 St. Louis

16. yisman

Pujols ties the WS record with three homers in a game.

Man, he's going to cost a fortune.

17. Crowned

18. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

The Cards are playing inspired. Texas better get their crap together or we may mess around and lose this thing. smh

19. DawkinsINT

Wow....what a show Albert put on.

20. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I wonder if the Rangers will have a set big enough to pitch to Pujols tonight. :icon_cool: