Browns Prepared To Let RB Peyton Hillis Test Free Agent Market

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by ronbart, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ronbart

ronbart Pro Bowler

Browns President Mike Holmgren revealed Thursday that the team is set to let Peyton Hillis become a free agent after the season according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "I don’t think anybody pushed anybody against the wall on contract talks and said 'we're done,' but right now, it's kind of quiet,'' said Holmgren. "Let’s let Peyton play, let the dust settle and see what happens.'' Holmgren indicated the Browns are prepared to try and sign him on the open market. Another option would be to make him the franchise player, which would pay him the average of the top five players at his position for 2012 -- probably more than they'd want to pay. "Because of the nature of these types of negotiations, and if Peyton has a good year, he'll have opportunities now because you'll enter in free agency -- legitimate free agency,'' said Holmgren. "Are we going to be a player in there to try and keep him here? Absolutely. Absolutely. I told him that yesterday.''

Source: The Red Zone

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Probably a mistake.

3. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

Depends, i'd want to see what kind of numbers his agent is asking for, sometimes you gotta let the market set the value for a guy if they are asking for more then you think they are worth. There's a big amount of risk in it when your talking about your starting tailback but in the words of Ozzie Newsome....right player, right price.

4. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

It would be the biggest mistake the Browns have made in a while. If they lose Hillis and bench McCoy next season I WILL go to a game with a pitchfork and flaming torch and start a riot on behalf of all Browns fans...It would be the equivalent of the Saints letting go of Drew Brees and benching Lance Moore, IT MAKES NO SENSE to let go of your best asset.

5. Three7s

Three7s 1st Stringer

Freaking stupid. When Hillis is healthy, he is a beast.

6. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

lol wut?

7. Dragonite

Both players are far and away easily the best teams on their respective teams so for the browns to lose hillis would be the equivalent of the saints losing drew brees.

Not saying HILLIS is the Equivalent of Brees the impacts on the teams would be the same though

8. YEAH DUDE!

YEAH DUDE! CHAMPION OF THE UNIVERSE!

Was Holmgren sent to the Browns as a sick joke? Possibly benching his QB and letting his RB who was a STUD last season just walk? Seriously without getting any picks for him?!?!? Or is Holmgren thinking Hillis is just another Larry Johnson/Ruben Droughns? A flash in the pan player.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

He's not really worth DeAngelo Williams money, but someone might overpay for him and steal him from Cleveland. I'm not buying all his "crap" this season...strep throat, hammy...

10. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Deangalo williams isnt even worth deangalo williams money

11. Dragonite

I believe Hillis is cursed......ITS MADDEN I tell you

But no seriously if Holmgren lets Hillis walk he will be executed in Cleveland