New GridironFans.com 4.0 Skin Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'GridironFans Support' started by SRW, Dec 24, 2011.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

I've decided that the only downfall with the new skin is the font...imo...

2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

No notifications? Or am I missing it?

3. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Notifications should appear when you are inside one of the forum pages in the navbar for now. I am still tinkering with the skin and the font is not final. Just need to find some time to work on the skin.

4. SRW

Update:

1. Get vBactivity to work with the site (Done)
    5. Fix coding for topic tags in post new thread page (Done)
    9. Fix spacing issues in headline modules (Done)

5. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

I like all the new additions

6. SRW

Update:

2. Get Sidebar column to fit on all pages correctly (Done)
    4. Fix extra space in showthread (Done)

Also, I added the Vb-Skysa Toolbar modification, here are the features:

1. Integrated Chat
    2. Instant Message System
    3. YouTube videos from Pro Football Weekly
    4. Google search for GridironFans.com
    5. Facebook Like, Twitter (Tweet this page), AddThis and Google +1 integration
    6. Quick Navigation For The Site.

Also, I have added the following to the sidebar:

1. Twitter list of NFL News Sources
    2. Facebook fans module
    3. NFL News email subscription module

7. SRW

I opened access to the test skin to all members now and have moved this thread from the staff forum to the GridironFans support page.

I'd love to get feedback from members on the test skin that is being put together. The only known functional issue so far is the links in the member info box not going to the right path from the site's home page. See my previous post about some information on the new toolbar at the bottom of any page on the site.

8. SRW

Update:

Added:
    1. Live Thread link in site's navbar
    2. Link to "My Active Threads" in navbar

"My Active Threads" is a small modification that allows members to have a combination of 'Find My Posts' and 'New Posts' in a new link.

On smaller sites, it's easy enough to keep cfreaking the New Posts results and looking for things you've posted in. This is not very time effective. On larger sites, people now have the option to click or bookmark 'My Active Threads' and look through your recent posts to see which have replies. Threads where your post was the last post do not display.

This modification shows results for threads that you have posted in within the past 30 days, and which have been updated within the last 7. This can be configured to different settings.

9. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

I kind of hate the new skin, already switched back to the old one actually its just not functional enough to use. I like the idea of the toolbar but I would prefer it on the old skin.

10. SRW

What's wrong with it's functionality?

11. Dragonite

Navigating the site was nearly impossible, and if you don't use the new posts button on top which I don't having to open every single forum to find out if there is a new post or not drove me insane after about two seconds. There needs to be a way to scroll through the categories and see if there are new posts or not without opening them up. Especially when you haven't come on in a week like me.

12. SRW

You didn't check out the Quick Links menu on the toolbar? It has links to new posts, today's posts and a new like to active threads you have posted in.

13. Dragonite

I checked it out but its kind of similar to whats already there. I just found it impossible to find new posts beyond a certain couple that were suggested.

14. SRW

I still don't understand what the issue is....:icon_scratch:

15. Dragonite

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those need to exist on all the forums so that I can find which FORUMS have new posts in them with out having to click on each and every one to find new posts. Thats how I do it. Thus it takes considerably more time with the new skin which drives me insane when I have to open every forum because the Unread posts Icon does not show on the forums home page.

16. Dragonite

If you still dont understand I will take screenshots in the morning and post them somewhere to reiterate my point.

Also the forum homepage is much too crowded.

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

NFL Chat room missing from the new skin?

Also [MENTION=1]SteveRobWhatever[/MENTION], sent you a PM about the IMs...

18. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I really like it, especially getting rid of the clutter (statistics, etc) from the top of a post 'window' and moving it off to the side. Maybe it's an illusion, but it just seems roomier overall.

The new logo is truly an upgrade. (I've already included it in my avatar). Great job Ward. The "black border" we see is not part of the pic, is there any way to get rid of it to give a cleaner look?

19. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

yes 86 the chat room in the toolbar is THE chat room..no more nfl chat.

20. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I've already incorporated it into my avatar. Great job!!!!