Jim Tressel, Brad Childress Among Candidates For Colts’ Head Coaching Job

Discussion in 'Indianapolis Colts' started by SRW, Jan 20, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The Indianapolis Colts are already underway in their efforts to replace head coach Jim Caldwell, whom they fired Tuesday. Jerry Gray, Mike Zimmer and Pete Carmichael Jr. are among the names already being discussed two big-name head coaches have now emerged as serious candidates for the opening: Jim Tressel and Brad Childress. Tressel, 59, resigned in May as the head coach at Ohio State and worked this season as a Colts consultant. According to Phil Richards of the Indianapolis Star, owner Jim Irsay flew to Sarasota, Fla., today to speak with Tressel, and multiple sources expect him to be interviewed for the head coaching position. Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network reports that the Colts want to talk with Childress, who also interviewed recently for the vacant position in Tampa Bay.

Source: Sports Illustrated

2. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

If Chilly gets it, consider Andrew Luck ruined.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Either one of them and it's not looking good for Luck...lol.

4. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

I would take the Vest out of those options

5. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

Luck's gonna pull a Eli lol

6. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Gray or Zimmer would be great hires

7. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

what the heck is going on in Indy? They hired the worst possible candidate for G.M. and now they're looking at Jim Tressel, who has NO experience playing or coaching in the NFL ?

Indy is a disaster right now.

I have a feeling that Jim Irsay is trying to be very involved in these major decisions right now and he doesn't know how to select the right people.

8. kenman923

kenman923 Rookie

I think Mike Zimmer would be a better hire. Brad Childress would be better as the OC or either Cleveland or Pittsburgh. He may even get a shot at being OC in Green Bay now that there's an opening or in Baltimore if the Ravens lose to the Patriots.

9. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Synonyms for Indy in the past were class, gold, solid, winners. The new one's are joke, clueless, losers, boneheads.

Go ahead and hire either of these ass-clowns and see how long it takes for Manning to ask for a trade and Luck (and his dad) announcing he isn't going to Indy. Never in a million years did I think that Brett Favre's bald snitch would be considered for another HC job. And Tressel? Words escape me.

10. markaz

Probably more true than funny. To think what an injury to a single player can do to an entire sports franchise is astounding.

11. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

It'd be pretty ironic if Childress got the job, considering over involved owners who didn't know how to select the right people got him his first HC job.

Brett Favre's bald snitch........:laughy32:

12. dpn

dpn 18to44

He is not just a single player. He is Peyton "Frickin'" Manning!
    This year alone showed how great this guy is. Why are so many afraid to admit that!?

13. CaptainStubing

that's a good point dpn. i'm sensing a lot of people questioning just how good peyton was and could still be if he's healthy.

the question is ........... are the colts in that group of doubters?

14. markaz

Couldn't agree more. Anybody else goes down maybe not that big a deal. But a single player (Manning) out changed not only the season, but the entire landscape of the Colts' organization now and in the future. GM and son fired, HC fired, etc.
    Don't understand your comment "Why are so many afraid to admit that!?" Admit what?
    That Manning may be one of the top 3 QB's in NFL history? I think most people would agree on that.

15. CaptainStubing

well, i can't speak for dpn, but i think what he was saying (and what i was agreeing with) is that there seems to be a lot of people right now that think peyton is not worth much, even if he's perfectly healthy. I really don't understand that logic.

Yes, he's turning 36 in a couple of months but Tom Brady will turn 35 before next season starts and everyone is acting like he has another 5 years in this league.

IF mannings neck has healed and he will be back to 100% by next season, there is no reason at all why we shouldn't expect he would still play at a high level.

The last time i SAW peyton manning play (just a little over 12 months ago), he was still calling plays at the l.o.s., he was still dissecting defenses like a surgeon, and still had the physical skills/arm to put the ball almost anywhere he wants.

i'm really not sure why so many people are acting like he's done even if he's healthy :wtf1:

16. markaz

I must be reading the wrong things and watching the wrong TV programs because in all honesty I've never heard a slam about Manning. Yes, I've heard the age bit and the questions of his health and a year out of football, but if deemed healthy and performs as before, I've never heard a negative that, regardless of the above, he's done. For anyone who feels that way, go back and look at an aging, washed up Joe Montana in SF once again play at a high level in KC.

I'm probably reading more into it than what reality is, but I'm sensing that Manning (from his statement about not pushing his contract back) that he just may be fed up with Irsay and his boneheaded moves. Personally, I hope so and hope that he lands in KC or AZ where they're a quality QB away from possibly making some noise in next year's playoffs. I'll take a 36 year old 90% Manning any day of the week.

17. YEAH DUDE!

YEAH DUDE! CHAMPION OF THE UNIVERSE!

Manning means more to his team then Brady means to his. Look when Brady got hurt, his backups atleast got them a winning record and Cassel is currently in Kansas City with a nice contract. Peyton is a once in a lifetime player, he made that organization. He's THAT good. Probably the best ever.

That dude when it's all said and done is going to be one hell of a coach too after his playing days are done.

18. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

Manning is obviously one of the greatest of all times, but I don't think the Patriots would fare too much better with a trio of the corpse of Kerry Collins, Curtis Painter, and Dan Orlovsky. The difference is the Patriots were lucky enough to have a decent backup.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  19. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm one of the ones questioning his health. I'm leaning more towards him not being able to play than unfortunately being able to return...