The Official Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by smeags, Aug 27, 2007.

1. smeags

smeags militant geek

ranks do not tell the whole story but you knew that when you posted this. the defense gave up less yards in 2010.

great analogy - the panthers have no talent on defense.

you keep thinking i am defending mcdermot which i'm not, i'm pointing out the contradiction of canning mcdermot so quickly with less talent then castillo and yet not sending castillo packing when there's a chance to sure up a gaping hole on this team.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. smeags

smeags militant geek

i disagree completely. the eagles defense didnt really play better. film watchers said the defense was making alot of the same mistakes but benefitted from playing against some real crappy qb's.

also if the mini camps and OTA's are the only thing that held the defense back after big changes then briniging in spags with a full off-season would mean they would be fine especially considering castillo actually started playing more of JJ's scheme at the end of the season. ie got away from the wide nine as much and went to more press coverage from the cb's.

that was the basis of jj's system. let the corners play man with some saftey help and go after the qb with a good amount of blitzing.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  3. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Any word about Castillo's future in Philly?

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

staying as DC as far as i know.

castillo is good guy a nd a good coach that needed to get his feet wet on the defensive side of the ball before getting the DC position.

but by all accounts from what jeff lurie said 2012 is a one and done year for reid. i would think he'd want to do something to upgrade.

5. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I was talking to an Eagles fan on Facebook and he thought that Castillo would be back in some form with them.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

i would think but if the playcalling gets taken away from him i couldnt see him staying.

7. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Smeags, All I want to know is what HC candidate out there could come in here and in a season or 2 make an impact? We're not near a need for a rebuild. If you aren't happy being competitive every season and just want that super bowl win, I'm cool with that. You keep mentioning these coaches that have come into the league after Reid and have won. Let's take a look.

1998 - Reids first year - Mike Shanahan - Broncos
    1999 - Shanahan - Broncos
    2000 - twinky Vermeil - Rams
    2001- Brian Billick - Ravens
    2002 - The Hood - Pat's
    2003 - Jon Gruden - Buc's
    2004 - The Hood - Pat's
    2005 - The Hood - Pat's
    2006 - Bill Cowher - Steelers
    2007 - Tony Dungy - Colts
    2008 - Tom Coughlin - Gnats
    2009 - Mike Tomlin - Steelers
    2010 - Sean Peyton - Saints
    2011 - Mike McCarthy - Packers

Now let's not act like the guys who have won the Super Bowl since Reid came into the league aren't potential Hall of Fame coaches or the cream of the crop. I still just want to know, from your opinion, who out there could come in and do better and keep us competitive like Andy Reid. I know that we'll agree to disagree but I'm curious who you, as a fan thinks can come in and keep up competitive like Andy Reid?

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

again i'm not paid the big bucks to have all the info to make a decision on that but i'll take a look around to see.

1998 - Reids first year - Mike Shanahan - Broncos
    1999 - Shanahan - Broncos
    2000 - twinky Vermeil - Rams
    2001- Brian Billick - Ravens
    2002 - The Hood - Pat's
    2003 - Jon Gruden - Buc's
    2004 - The Hood - Pat's
    2005 - The Hood - Pat's
    2006 - Bill Cowher - Steelers
    2007 - Tony Dungy - Colts
    2008 - Tom Coughlin - Gnats
    2009 - Mike Tomlin - Steelers
    2010 - Sean Peyton - Saints
    2011 - Mike McCarthy - Packers

but take a look at this list. there's only one guy on there that was a coach forever before winning the super bowl with their and that's cowher.

my point is that there are other guys out there. just like reid was out there. the team in no way shape or form has to rebuild. it just needs a new voice. sure there's always a chance that we could end up with another rich kotite but i do give the front office enough credit to believe that won't happen.

many reid ddefenders used mcnabb as the scapegoat for years, well he's been gone for two years and the eagles are once again looking towards next year.

IMO though reid can salvage things if he just admits the mistake with castillo and brings in spags. the players on the defensive roster can play his (JJ's) scheme with ease. it would be a sick unit.

if vick could stop the turnovers and play within the system like he did the 1st half of 2010 they would make a big run.

but reid has to do something he's not been able to do ever and that's put aside his pride and ego and admit he was wrong.

btw bro - i love the debates. regardless of where we stand on reid we both want the same thing.

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I hear that. This Super Bowl is a complete nightmare. The two teams I hate most in each conference.

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

at least the eagles won 4 games to end the season though. yay. :banghead:

no way i can watch this game. i'll be at the car show during the super bowl.

12. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

I was thinking of missing it but theres no way i can miss it im just gonna get super wasted and root for the pats even though i hate them.....i just have alot of giants fans in this area mostly bandwagoners

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

funny how the eagles fanbase is ripped by the national media (and the duke) for wanting reid out of here and yet there's not even a mention of how new yorkers have tried to run coughlin out of town every freaking year regardless of bringing another lombardi to town.

14. ball in the baskett

Not bringing in another one yet...and hopefully wont at all

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

i meant the one he already brought there.

16. Chubz

Chubz 1st Stringer

Don't worry it's coming. you can quote me on that

17. ball in the baskett

18. smeags

smeags militant geek

*$^%$*@#(@(@*(&#$&$*@()!)!(*(#&^$%^$%#&*#*@

:eek:a02:

19. Chubz

Chubz 1st Stringer

20. Chubz