Browns Not Completely Sold On Baylor QB Robert Griffin III?

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by SRW, Jan 26, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Len Pasquarelli of the Sports Xchange reports that a very experienced AFC scout suggested to him that the Cleveland Browns might not have to trade up to acquire Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Robert Griffin III. And second, that, while team officials have all but decided that Colt McCoy is probably not the guy to advance the team, the club isn't completely sold on Griffin yet either. Said the scout: "If they want [Griffin], he could fall right to them [with the fourth overall choice]. But they have to decide if they want him first." The Browns are one of three franchises with two first-round picks (Cincinnati and New England are the others), owning their own, at No. 4, and the Atlanta pick (22nd), because of last year's Julio Jones trade. The early rationale has been that St. Louis, which has the second overall choice, will market the pick to a team desiring to take Griffin, since the Rams already have Sam Bradford in place. But the scout opined that the Browns might not necessarily be a buyer for the No. 2 pick, unless they are "completely sold" on Griffin.

Source: CBS Sports

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2012
  2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

No trading up. If he's available at 4, I'm open to discussion, but no trading up.

(unless it's for Luck)

3. misinformation.

Although if I'm the Browns I take T. Richardson

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

eh, running backs don't win super bowls ............ quarterbacks do ............. if RG3 is for real, they can't pass on him.

5. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Yea I would never take a RB in the top 5. I'd even question taking one in the top 10. Although Richardson might be an exception to the rule. I still wouldn't do it.

And it's tough to be completely sold on any QB in any draft unless his name is Luck. But I think this is mostly a smokescreen.

6. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Smoke and mirrors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. I'm not convinced that he is. Don't get me wrong I like him but I think an elite RB can do wonders for an offense.

8. CaptainStubing

well, none of us really know 'for sure' how ANY college player is going to do in the NFL .............. even the best pro scouts will tell you that it's a crapshoot with ANY player ........... there is no such thing as a 'sure thing'

9. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I love Richardson's potential and skills but I agree RBs are less likely to carry a team, but superstars exist at almost every position and that's what this team needs, playmakers. That said, I doubt Heckert will be content on draft day with the value of a RB that high. If there are no other players they want there, he won't hesitate to move down and address a position with more capability to make an immediate impact. Peterson was and is still near the best in the league and it never got the Vikes anywhere. He's impressed, sold tickets and claimed rushing titles but it hasn't produced much. That team got the farthest on the back of the old man gunslinger.

10. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

[​IMG]

I think they'll take him if he's there.

11. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Okay so in no way am I saying the RG3 IS this guy but not too long ago there was another QB that tore it up and had a phenomenal year and ended up going at the top of the draft. Today I'm pretty sure he's drinking purple drank while asking "Do you want medium or large?" Again, I'm not saying that it'll turn out the same way but I feel like some of these teams will see a parallel with it and get a little gun shy. Like was posted, I don't trade up for him but if he's there when I draft I take a long look at him.

12. True but you get the point. RG3 is not an A.Luck sure thing.

13. CaptainStubing

eh, it wasn't that long ago when ryan leaf was considered by many to be the better draft pick than peyton manning.

we can sit here and say luck has more of a chance of being a big-time qb than RG3 but it may end up the other way around ................. we just don't know.

14. YEAH DUDE!

YEAH DUDE! CHAMPION OF THE UNIVERSE!

I think RG3 is going to make a team VERY Happy, he is a totally different guy and player compared to that who will not be named. I think it's just like EVERY year, during the year someone lights it up and is a superstar, then come draft time everyone picks these kids apart hoping they drop. This kid is legit, I think he has "IT".

15. CaptainStubing

well, i know for sure one difference between 'him' and RG3 is that RG3 is actually a smart dude ............ wasn't he a molecular biology major or something like that in school?

16. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Agreed. With emphasis on discussion.

17. If anyone thought Leaf was a better draft pick they were heckin goobered.

I guess but the odds are low.

18. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Hindsight is 20/20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. FamousGuy909

FamousGuy909 Ticket Scalper

is it even a possibly that the browns have the ammo to move to #1 and take andrew luck? or trade for manning?... the Browns have some good picks

20. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Colts won't trade it and the Browns have too many holes to waste extra high picks on any one player. In fact, I want them to trade down again.