Buccaneers Hire Greg Schiano As Head Coach

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Buccaneers' started by Sweets, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The hiring of Rutgers coach Greg Schiano to fill the vacant Buccaneers job moved at light speed Thursday morning, and now according to CBSSports.com’s Brett McMurphy, the deal is done and Schiano has accepted the job. The hiring of Schiano is a big surprise, considering his name wasn’t mentioned among the numerous other candidates who the Buccaneers supposedly were after (including Oregon’s Chip Kelly, who accepted the job before changing his mind, and Mike Sherman and Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, who were offered second interviews). But according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the two sides met twice without any word leaking to the media, including Wednesday. Apparently, Bill Rees -- who’s in charge of Tampa Bay’s college scouting -- stayed in touch with Schiano throughout the hiring process. So, it appears the Buccaneers had Schiano -- who will replace Raheem Morris after his 4-12 season -- in mind the entire time.

Source: CBSSports

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Wow...bizarre hiring IMO. How many good years has Rutgers had since he was there?

Almost no NFL experience...very surprising. I don't get it. They definitely need to hire 2 coordinators with a LOT of NFL experience!

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

after an exhaustive search, THIS is what they come up with? a college guy that hasn't had much more than a cup of coffee in the NFL and it was 15 years ago?

The Bucs are a mess

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

That's what I'm saying. It's a bizarre hiring. If they don't hire an OC and DC with a good amount of NFL experience, this team could wind up being a disaster.

I'd love to know the thought behind this hiring...

5. The Sith

The Sith 1st Stringer

Bad hire perry few ell would have been the right fit.

6. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

This is puzzling, but I guess it cant get any worse than last year right [MENTION=1760]DubMike'sBaby[/MENTION]

7. CaptainStubing

haha. winslow was on espn radio yesterday and flat out said he was hoping they were going to hire chudzinski ............ i think that would have been a more logical choice.

8. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Had Gasparilla this weekend. Sorry for the late response. I FREAKING L OOVE THIS HIRE!

9. CaptainStubing

once again, why don't more nfl teams consult with the smart minds here at GIF before making huge mistakes.

10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Oh reeeeeeeeeeeeeally.

11. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Hind sight....

12. CaptainStubing

:) well, when even Dragonite knew this was a crapty hire, I'm not sure that really applies in this case.

I like the most recent hire though mush. Lovie WILL bring them back to respectability and some playoff appearances.