Colts QB Peyton Manning Has No Plans To Retire

Discussion in 'Indianapolis Colts' started by Sweets, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning informed a group of reporters at Super Bowl XLVI that he has no plans to retire, Michael Marot of The Associated Press reports. The four-time NFL MVP has undergone three neck operations in the last two seasons, including two in 2011 that kept him out for the entire regular season and jeopardizes his future with the Colts. Manning's comments on Tuesday come one day after Yahoo! Sports reported that Manning's recovery had slowed and that the velocity in his right arm has not returned. According to Manning, he conducted a throwing session on Tuesday that he described as going "well". Manning, who turns 36 in March, is due a $28 million option bonus from the Colts, which can be paid from February 7-March 8, if the Colts decline to exercise the option bonus, which they are not expected to do, Manning will become a free agent.

Source: Mac's Football Blog

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Here is one of his quotes from his interviews today:

"The doctors and I have been in constant communication. We're on the same page and I'm encouraged by what they've said ... I've seen these guys for weeks and everything they're saying is right on point, that everything looks good and I'll be cleared and ready to go."

So, it begs the question ............... IF what Peyton is saying is true, why is everyone who has 'respected' sources in the league saying that Peyton's ability to ever play again is in serious doubt?

Is Irsay actually the one 'leaking' the information to soften the blow to Colts fans when he releases Peyton?

Is Peyton just saying that he's going to be cleared soon, hoping that the Colts feel forced to keep him/pay him the $28 mill ?

This whole thing stinks to me ...................... There's a lot of misinformation flying around in my opinion.

3. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

I would take Manning's words over any "source" any day of the week, because he and the DRs are the only ones who really know.

4. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I hope this is true. I really really do. I believe him.

5. CaptainStubing

well, ok, if we believe what peyton is saying then there is 'someone' who is very aggressively 'leaking' inaccurate information to the nfl media because they have all been adamant that the word is that peyton's ability to ever play again is in serious doubt ............

so, who is that 'someone' leaking the lies?

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think the media is throwing crap in every direction in hopes that something sticks. they don't have any idea...

7. Steve12

Yea they're probably just blowing up little tidbits they hear so they have a better story. I don't think it's as grim as they've been reporting. But that's all we were hearing so we had no choice but to go with it.

8. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

I agree with Ward, or it could be members of the Colts to like you said "soften" the blow of releasing an icon.

9. CaptainStubing

i would buy that if it was just a few 'no name' guys trying to make a story but this is every single nfl insider, even the biggest names who don't need to put their reputations on the line to try and 'break' a story .................. i firmly believe there is someone or multiple people in or around the colts or peyton that are saying all of this stuff. I just find it hard to believe that every reputable nfl insider is making stuff up or blowing things out of proportion

And it's not as if we are just getting general 'opinions' .............. reputable nfl insiders are reporting that peyton's velocity is not returning, that he is nowhere near his former self physically and that doctors who do this type of surgery everyday say that it will be another year before anyone even knows if he can play again.

Either Peyton is done physically, as is being reported everywhere, or there is misinformation being leaked to the media for one reason or another by people inside the situation.

10. dpn

dpn 18to44

There is NO way to soften that blow!

11. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

IM sure if the Colts dont take him back. Another team wll really quick

12. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

Thats what the media does, when Tigers scandal came out half the pundits said it was all lies half said it was true. Half were right, half were wrong, but something stuck, and they were all on the same god **mn sports news network.

Now half are saying Manning is done, half are saying hes not, its the same thing, this way no matter what happens they can say they predicted it right.

13. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

You know too much. They're coming for you now Drag.

14. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

I'm holed up in my apartment with a shotty and an AR let them come :)

15. CaptainStubing

i haven't heard anyone in the last 3 weeks from the media give an encouraging report about Peyton's future. Where did you hear/see one?

16. Steve12

Ditto. The first positive report I heard from a media member came out after Peyton came out and said all of that stuff. Coincidence?

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Nobody knows...it's all speculation at this point. There have been no doctors reports, unless I missed something. The odds with the neck surgeries is that he won't be playing, but no one knows until he is cleared to play and on the field. If Manning says he's not retiring, someone will sign him and take a chance.