NFL Says Saints Created 'Bounty Program' From 2009-2011

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by Sweets, Mar 2, 2012.

1. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

You guys really think that half of the league had crap like this in place?

I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. 'Most' of these players understand that the game isn't only their livelihood, but also that of everyone else out on the field.

Some backend payday for knocking a player out? For ruining their season? That's freaking bush league, and there needs to be some serious consequences.

2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

According to the interview with Schefter, Peyton was in the mix. Listen starting @ 1:0o concluding that nothing was done.

Certainly may shed some some light on this hit:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC1T1tAbA4s&feature=endscreen&NR=1]Kurt Warner Gets Hit against Saints 2010 playoffs[/ame]
    Warner cited this as one of the major reasons why he contemplated and then did retire a few weeks later with a year left on his contract.

Fine the living hell out of Williams, possibly Peyton, and strip the Saints of as many draft picks as they possibly can. No place for this in Football.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Start with Williams and go from there. Like Steve said. Make him the example...

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

um, i'm finding it interesting that so many of you that have so vehemently argued AGAINST the league's discipline policy for vicious hits intended to injure are so outraged by this story .........

You're basically saying:

Vicious hit intending to hurt/injure without compensation = Perfectly Fine

Vicious hit intending to hurt/injure with a small side bet involved = People should be banned from the league

:scratch:

These 2 topics are very closely related. Even if a team doesn't have a betting pool of money set aside to financially reward the player, the non-compensated player still gets a form of 'compensation' by being congratulated and encouraged to do this by his teammates and coaches and by feeling like a stud assassin and feared by the league. It's an emotional compensation instead of a financial compensation.

There's not much difference. The end result is the same, so if you accept one, you really should be accepting the other (or at least not calling for lifetime bans of players or coaches).

5. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

That goes without saying. But the Saints were caught, did nothing about it and are culpable. Screw the fines, take draft picks as they have a far reaching impact.

6. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I've lost all respect for Gregg Williams.

7. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

This mentality is what the NFL was built on all the way thru till now.

Anyone shocked by this should learn to get out more...

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think there is a big difference between a vicious hit and a vicious hit with the intent to injure. Sure you could say anything vicious is in the same category, but like TheRed said, if it's a clean and legal hit (and vicious) and a guy gets hurt...it's part of the game. But if you are going out there looking to injure someone first...not part of the game.

I think some of the debate you are referring to falls back to what people perceive as legal and what is an illegal hit. Maybe not.

9. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Captain that post made no sense to me. Going for a big hit is entirely different than going for an injury. If a guy wants to jack somebody up then go for it. Its football. But if you're getting paid to break a guys leg or something then that's not even the same thing. I don't see how it could even be similar.

10. CaptainStubing

if you guys don't want to admit that many defensive players hit with the intent to injure (regardless of whether there's a side bet or not) then there's no point of discussing this. However, I feel comfortable that my argument is correct. I can cite many players who have admitted it is part of building a reputation for a player and a defense. It is part of the strategy of the game. players/defenses want the oppossing offenses to be afraid so they are looking to hurt and/or injure when possible.

11. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

As always Tarkus sheds the most light on the situation. Ask the guys in the early days of the NFL if they were going out there to knock someone out, they were. This is what this game is all about and if you don't like it than honestly stop watching football.

The Saints got caught, they should lose a pick or two and get a small fine, but asking for people to be kicked from the game like Pete Rose is some serious bullcrap. Come on man, this is what the game is all about. Every defensive player every week goes out there with the intent to injure.

Have you ever even listened to their interviews. They admit it week in and week out.

12. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

First, has anything been said about who told the NFL to go looking to see if the Saints had a bounty system in effect in the first place? If so, I missed it.

Second, Rick Gosselin of The Dallas Morning News said this morning that the Saints should be fined $250,000 AND they should lose their first-round draft choice.

13. CaptainStubing

:word: i don't understand denying that it's happening. it's obvious and the players even admit it is part of the game.

14. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

IMO, I think this is happening far more often than we'd like to believe.

15. CaptainStubing

i think they should be punished because it just looks bad (having side bets on the game and the plays) but losing a 1st rd draft choice just seems ridiculous to me. If they're going to do that, then teams whose players constantly hit with the intent to injure need to start losing draft picks too because it IS being preached in every locker room, whether financial incentive is thrown in or not.

16. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Link?

17. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I initially said that it's probably happening on every team. I don't think as many players as you think are trying to injure an opposing player. I think players are out there to inflict some pain...but I don't think the majority of players are looking to end a guys season or career. Hey if it's a legal hit, there's nothing to be sad about...

I think you and I are on the same page for the most part...

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

20. CaptainStubing

i could spend the rest of the day pulling up links but anytime a defender says he wants to put 'fear' into a receiver coming over the middle or anytime a defender gets congratulated by his teammates when he jacks someone up, that's what we're talking about. It can be a clean hit or a dirty hit, but the point is the defender is not just looking to tackle someone. They are looking to inflict pain and hurt someone, which OBVIOUSLY could lead to injury, especially head trauma.

And we as football fans encourage it. We don't show highlights of a good fundamental tackle with proper body positioning, wrapping, and driving. We show the defender who launches himself into the ball carrier and knocks someone out cold and then we debate endlessly about whether it was a 'legal' hit or not, which is a completely different conversation than what we're discussing here.