NFL Says Saints Created 'Bounty Program' From 2009-2011

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by Sweets, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Y'all don't remember buddy Ryan and bounty bowl

Im sorry but def players are applauded for making great hits and bone crushing hits since jr high all the way through college and now nfl. The stakes are just higher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

Hitting someone clean and hard is football. Trying to hurt someone intentionally should cost you and the one that asks you to do that your career!! You would think that these players would have enough respect for each other for this not to happen. You would think all they would do is ask themselves would I want someone possibly ending my season or even worse my career for some extra cash? This is ignorant and the players and coaches if found guilty should be banned from the league for life!

3. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

You should be applauded for making hard hits as long as they are legal hits. I have no problem with this. I teach my kids to hit hard, but thats a far cry from saying hit someone in the knees or go helmet to helmet on them. Legal hard hits can cause injury and thats a chance everyone who plays takes, but to have someone intentionally try to hurt you is totally uncalled for! If I have ever known about my kids on my team doing that they wouldn't be coming back!

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

If my team is found guilty of this crap, then they deserve the punishment and I won't be playing the 'oh, everyone is overreacting' card.

Spot bonuses for shady crap on the field is low, man.

And I really love the whole references back to football in the early days. Really do. Because it's totally the same game it was back then. Yup.

5. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

The NFL has painted themselves into a corner on this one. For weeks now, they've been talking about the safety of the players. If they don't come down on the Saints, and hard, it makes the NFL look like hypocrites.

BTW, I think the league has meetings scheduled for the end of this month. Don't look for a punishment to come down until then.

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, i've noticed a lot of people on this board who think the league is pussifying the sport but also want the book thrown at Williams .............. to me, that's pretty hypocritical too.

we can't have it both ways. These 2 topics are completely inter-related. either you're ok with the league manufacturing vicious hitters or you're not and you can't say "well, i want my guys to hit with the intent to hurt/inflict pain/create fear but i don't want them to injure" because IF they hit with the intent the hurt/inflict pain/create fear, they ARE increasing their chances of injuring someone and possibly ending their career or giving them life-long health issues.

7. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Those topics are completely different captain. Hitting a guy hard to inflict pain is totally different then being paid to knock a guy out of the game. Goodell taking the physicality out of the sport is wrong. But so is paying guys to end careers. Its not hypocritical.

8. CaptainStubing

the saints never had a bounty to 'end someone's career' but i understand your point ........... i just don't see much difference between a coach giving someone a sticker on their helmet or having a side bet or giving a verbal reward for a 'big hit'. Whether there is money involved or not, it's the same thing. They are all motivating factors that are taught/encouraged for the same end result.

I could care less about the 'money' part of it and I think that's what's bothering a lot of people. The 'money' was just a motivational tool and there are many different ways that coaches can 'motivate' but, regardless of the method, they're ALL teaching and encouraging the same style of play.

That's why I keep saying, either you agree with the style of play or you don't and you can't punish one method over another because they're all teaching/encouraging the same thing.

9. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Yea I see what you're saying. Its all about how you look at it. I see the helmet stickers as ok as long as they reward legal hits. that's where this is different to me. These bounties encourage dirty play, which is not cool. Helmet stickers could do the same thing if not handled properly. To me, encouraging big clean hits is totally different than encouraging dirty hits.

10. CaptainStubing

Let me give another hypothetical to try and explain my thinking ............. Belichick likes hard hitting safeties, I think you would agree.

Let's say Belichick had a conversation with Patrick Chung during the pre-season last year and said, "I I need a safety to be putting fear into our opponents' receivers more often than we did last year. I need one to be knocking guys out of games like Rodney Harrison used to do. We need to be a feared defense like we once were."

Would you agree that would be just as bad even though there no 'betting pool' involved? Chung would want to do what his coach said to please his coach and get emotional rewards from him.

These players are (usually) completely loyal to their coaches and would go to war for them. Whether or not there's a side pool involved, motivating tools are used by coaches and teammates in every organization. It really doesn't matter if there's financial compensation or not (other than it being a black eye on the league)

11. CaptainStubing

yes, we are definitely in agreement on the clean hit vs. dirty hit debate. anyone who is purposely trying to take someone's head off is in the wrong.

12. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Good points cPt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Severe, sweeping penalties under consideration in Saints bounty case - The Insider - The Washington Post

14. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

So be it. Has nothing to do with everybody getting caught except "my team".

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Not to mention they got caught once before, said they'd address it and got caught again...

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

see it wasnt an issue when buddy ryan put out a bounty. cause it was a kicker.

17. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

QFT...this is what bothers me

18. TideRedskinslunatic

TideRedskinslunatic 2nd String

NFL Network is rebroadcasting this game today.Football is Football,but there were some really cheap shots on favre that game.:icon_cheesygrin:

19. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

yes there were...but at that time, who didn't want to see him get his butt kicked...just saying :icon_cheesygrin:

20. TideRedskinslunatic

TideRedskinslunatic 2nd String

Big Difference between getting you butt kicked while playing with in the rules and playing outside the rules.I Hate every team in the nfc east and the pats and niners with a vengenance,never have i ever cheered or wanted to see any of the players from that team injured,especially by cheap shots.