Colts, QB Peyton Manning Officially Part Ways

Discussion in 'Indianapolis Colts' started by Sweets, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Peyton Manning is no longer an Indianapolis Colt, after 14 years, 11 playoff appearances, 11 Pro Bowls, eight division titles, five firs-team all-pro selections, a record four league MVP awards, two Super Bowl trips and one championship, the franchise officially said goodbye to Wednesday to the man it drafted with the No. 1 overall pick in 1998. "I sure have loved playing football for the Indianapolis Colts," said Manning. "I've been a Colt for all my adult life ... but we know nothing lasts forever. "Our circumstances make it best for us to take this next step." Manning choked back his emotions while getting through his initial thoughts. "I love it here, I love the fans," he said. "I'll leave the Colts with nothing but good thoughts and gratitude. "I've been blessed to play here, I've been blessed to here in the NFL." He made a point of thanking the city, fans, team and even media members. "Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart," said Manning. Owner Jim Irsay lauded Manning's career with the team while announcing its conclusion amid a "long difficult process." Irsay says the Colts' salary cap issues and decision to rebuild necessitated a parting of the way but said Manning was "completely unselfish" in accepting the outcome. "There will be no other Peyton Manning," said Irsay while getting emotional. "We've been so blessed to have him. "He's always part of the horseshoe."

Source: USAToday

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Not surprising but it is in a way. Another one of those guys that you thought would end his career with the team that drafted him. Epitome of class the way he handled it.

3. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

lol @ Irsay and Manning getting choked up....Peyton did handle the whole thing with class, better than his freakin Pops would have IMO.

4. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

Peyton showed class and gratitude in not trying to take a lessened contract after he stole millions of dollars from them last season? When he doesn't know if he can play at the same level? Yep. Great guy.

5. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Why would he do that if hes confident in his abilitys? He seems pretty confident that his level of play wont go down the colts just dont agree.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

stole ? :dunno:

7. dpn

dpn 18to44

This has been a very sad day. As a Colt fan I am very emotional right now. Manning has been the greatest I have ever seen play, and I got to see him at every home game for the last 4 years. I am not sure that others understand just how much this man has meant to the city of Indianapolis. I know I will move on to the future of the Colts...just not today.:icon_sad:

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Stole money? Lol...

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Guy on the radio said he changed the state of Indiana and the City of Indianapolis from a basketball state to a football state. I thought that summed it up pretty well.

10. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

Did he get paid for last season? Yeah? Did he play at all? No? He didn't steal it literally, but he was a thief.

11. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Dude go troll somewhere else.

12. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Lmao. Richlikewhoa you gotta be crapting me. :icon_rolleyes:

Peyton has ways shown nothing but class in everything he's done. Like I said in the other thread, I respect him more than I do anyone else in the league because of the way he carries himself and handles everything. I haven't seen the press conference yet but I'm going to later.

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

:laughy32:

so forget the whole he made that team billions vs. what that team paid him last year while he was injured discussion right ?

14. Evasfunk

Evasfunk Rookie

Kidding right?? Its part of his contract, do you really believe he wanted to be injured so he could just sit back and "steal" money from them?? Guy is an absolutely class act, did you expect him to say " oh hey I know my contract is guaranteed against injury... but hey, I am now hurt and must spend the whole year going through multiple surgeries and intensive rehab. So I would like to give you the millions I was promised back because I physically couldn't play due to an injury I suffered playing for you that could very well effect me for the rest of my life".

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

The team could've come to an u jury settlement if they didn't want him to steal money...lol.

16. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man