Free Agent QB Alex Smith Visiting Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins' started by Sweets, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

With the San Francisco 49ers jumping into the race for Peyton Manning's services, free-agent quarterback Alex Smith is making a play of his own. Smith is flying to Miami to visit Sunday with the Dolphins, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The 49ers have been working to re-sign Smith, the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2005 who made a comeback in 2011 under first-year coach and former NFL QB Jim Harbaugh, and Smith has acknowledged he was happy with their three-year offer. But that was before the 49ers worked out Manning and put him through a physical exam early last week. Manning and Smith both are represented by agent Tom Condon and CAA Sports.

Source: ESPN

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

so, here's what i'm wondering ................... the niners made the 3 year offer .......... supposedly, smith liked it and was going to sign it but just didn't for a while. did alex smith's procrastination cause peyton manning to the niners discussions ?

3. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I think the 49ers have been in this for a bit just under the radar and with Smith's agent being Manning agent it's an awkward situation that I know I wouldn't want to be a part of. Smith is going to take care of himself at this point but I wonder if the Dolphins will give Smith a 3-year contract? If the 49ers don't get Manning and Smith doesn't sign with us I wonder what Harbaugh/Baalke's plan will be at that point?

4. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

if he goes to the dolphins were gonna see the old crapty alex smith back why leave a coach that you had your first good year with

5. CaptainStubing

maybe he doesn't want to hold a clipboard?

6. ball in the baskett

They probably wouldent go after peyton if he just signed the contract when they offered it to him

7. CaptainStubing

well, no doubt it's very possible Alex hecked up by not signing the contract. however, it is what it is and there is now a possibility that smith may lose his starting position in san fran, so if he still wants to be a starting qb in the nfl, he needs to start talking to other teams.

8. ball in the baskett

i would be surprised if he went to miami and did well especially now with marshall gone.

9. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

Apparently Smith has know something was up thats why he didnt sign,IMO. Cant blame him for looking somewhere else. He might not be the most outstanding QB but he did help lead the 49ers to the playoffs for the first time 2002.

10. bossco

bossco Rookie

I'm glad I am not the only one that thinks this way. I like Alex I think that his agent is playing games with Smith and using him to get Manning to a contender.

Droid x. 49ers

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I suspect that he was told from the jump something to the effect of "We like what you've done and would love to have you back, but theres a chance we could get this Peyton Manning guy and we are going to explore that option if it comes up, so you might want to hold off on signing your contract until we are out of it, if you want to be a starter here next year."

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Smith goes to the Dolphins. Manning signs with the Broncos/Titans. What now?!?

13. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

It's really all his agent's doing, I would imagine. Guy is trying to puppeteer.

14. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Screwin Kaepernick I guess lol. Its gonna happen eventually anyway. I doubt Alex would sign anywhere else until it was certain he was done here, though. Take visits and listen to offers, sure, he'd be stupid not to, but he'd also be stupid to walk away from the only coach he's been remotely successful under, and for all you can say about Alex, he is most definitely not a stupid person.

15. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I can just imagine Alex Smith walking into his agents office to sign the contract and seeing a memo on his desk about returning Harbaugh's call about Payton. Either way, I feel bad for Alex Smith. Coming off probably the best season of his life and then being told there's a chance that you'll have to carry a clip board again. Even if Manning signs in Denver or Tenn, if I'm Alex Smith I say heck you and I go somewhere else.

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

Agree. I think Condon is just working all angles to get both of his clients the largest amount of money possible...not to mention pad his wallet.

17. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The deal the 49ers offered was what they thought he was worth. Alex must have felt he could get more in the open market. He might regret not signing the deal.

18. FamousGuy909

FamousGuy909 Ticket Scalper

Miami, DONT DO IT

19. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

And Alex was happy with that contract from what I have read. But something changed his mind on signing. I think the 49ers will be the ones regreting Alex not signing if they dont win the Manning Sweepstakes and Smith signs somewhere else.

Even if they dont get Manning and resign Smith. If I was Alex I would sign for one year, raise my game and leave for someone else next year. Because apparantly they arent happy with him.

20. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I feel like I'm watching the Real World:NFL. Alex and his lady go on break. Then Payton comes into town and takes her to dinner and the cameras catch them slipping into the bathroom, alone. The next day Alex finds out so he goes and takes Payton's ex-GF out to dinner who Payton is secretly still in love with.