Jaguars Claim Former Eagles DE Jason Babin Off Waivers

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Jaguars' started by SRW, Nov 28, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The Jacksonville Jaguars have decided to use their lofty waiver position in an effort to improve their pass rush.

The Jaguars claimed former Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Jason Babin off waivers Wednesday, a source close to the player told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. Eight teams placed a claim on Babin, and only the Kansas City Chiefs had a higher position in the NFL's waiver claim priority list.

The Jaguars will be responsible for the remaining $1.69 million of Babin's 2012 salary. They will also inherit the terms of the rest of his deal, which calls for $4.225 million in 2013. It's a smart move by the Jaguars.

Source: NFL.com

2. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur9zjOrecLo&feature=ytfce]Jaguars Claim Jason Babin - YouTube[/ame]

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i don't necessarily agree with the writer of this article that it's absolutely a smart move.

this team is in re-build mode and is nowhere near contending. i understand they need help with their pass rush but branch and lane are both young and sticking an old guy in the rotation is only going to take away snaps from the young guys that need the experience to reach their potential.

i feel any positives they might get from this move will be outweighed by the lost snaps their young guys are going to have.

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Babin's not gonna be happy if I had to guess, after reason he was setting up meetings with all those winning teams.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Went from worse to worser.

6. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Ha I love it. Screw his cocky butt. He probably figured no one would be stupid enough to keep that silly butt contract of his.

7. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Look, if the dude was posting a sack a game and averaging two to three QB pressures, then he SORTA justifies a roster spot and the contract.

If he isn't doing that, then you're just wasting a starting spot on a 32 year old that can't tackle, is of hardly any use in run support, and can't sack the QB. Which means he's absolutely useless.

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

im buying a ticket for jim washburn to go join him.

9. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Said something pretty similar to this in the other thread. If Washburn loves him so much he'll probably have a chance to reunite before too long.

10. CaptainStubing

bigsexy, guys that average a sack a game make a LOT more than $5 mill/year in this league ............ regardless of whether they're much in run support.

Babin wasn't living up to his $5 mill this year but he WAY over-produced last year and MORE than earned his $5 mill for last year.

i don't think the signing was a complete disaster but i'm fine with them cutting ties with babin ........... in fact, anyone the eagles cut is fine with me at this point other than shady and some of their really young guys that may have potential.

11. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

That's why no one was calling for his head last year. He was doing a very good job at what he got paid to do.

He wasn't this year. And he was more of a liability every down than he was a threat.

12. CaptainStubing

oh, ok, i thought you were saying the idea of signing him in the first place was a disaster, which i don't feel it was.

it was actually a very team-friendly contract.

13. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Nah, I liked the signing especially after we got Washburn. And while the wide-9 didn't come off as such a great idea, we got the sacks just didn't have the right linebackers to back up the DL.