New Regime Undecided On Browns Rookie Brandon Weeden As QB Of The Future

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by SRW, Dec 28, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The jury is still out for the Browns' new regime on rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden, league sources have said because they're not sure who their coach will be next season, and whether he will want Weeden as his guy. The Browns are likely to part ways with coach Pat Shurmur and General Manager Tom Heckert as early as Monday.

Their short list of coaching candidates will probably include some of the hot names other teams will be vying for, including Oregon coach Chip Kelly, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman and Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

Weeden's future depends largely on the how the expected new coach views him and whether he will fit the new scheme. Browns offensive coordinator Brad Childress said he expects Weeden to take a big leap in his second year, and Shurmur has been pleased.

"I think that's a question probably for next week, but there are a lot of things that I'm very, very happy about watching him play," said Shurmur. "Then, of course, now that he's had a season under his belt, he'll come back here in the off-season, much like a lot of quarterbacks in this league that went on to have really good careers -- just pick one. They all had rookie years where they were much better in their second year. I think he's shown quite a bit this year that's good."

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

No Andy Reid? He'd turn Weeden into the next coming of AJ Feeley and at the very least get a good draft pick for the kid!!

3. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

29 year old rookie lol. Wasn't he hyping the hell out of himself before this season too?

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yes he was. he is a cocky s.o.b.

but i think the browns should be thinking about their options. at 29 years old, they drafted him expecting him to make a quicker impact than he has.

5. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

well,they have a hell of a rb in trent richardson.if andy reid goes there,the browns may wait and take matt barkley in round 2 and just go with weeden till he can play!?

6. SeanTaylor21

According to Jim Brown Trent Richardson is a scrub.

7. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

jim brown is a senile ole fool who has had a few too many injuries!

8. CaptainStubing

apparently jim brown and i are the only people in america that don't see the fascination with richardson. i really don't see what is so great about the guy.

when i see him play, he doesn't strike me as a special RB. he just looks like another guy ............ someone that would probably be ok in a rotational backfield. not sure he has the instincts and vision to be a standout, special RB.

behind a similar line in cleveland, does he really look that much better than peyton hillis?

9. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Richardson is a very good Fantasy HB. Mediocre real one kinda like Javid Best

Sent from my HTC Vivid

10. CaptainStubing

well, maybe that's the problem. i'm sure a lot of people that are just looking at his fantasy numbers probably think he's great. but his 'numbers' are actually more of a result of just being handed and thrown the ball so many times. i think there's only a few backs in the league that got more touches than richardson this year (he got 318). In addition, he got all goal line carries. they barely used hardesty at all this year.

so, getting back to my original point. i think there are a ton of middle-of-the -road RB's in this league that could have done for them what they had richardson do ............ and this was a guy they used a top 5 draft pick on so i guess i was just looking for a little more from the guy.

having said that, he IS just a rookie so maybe he will get better but i really don't understand everyone freaking out about what a great season he had ............ because from what i saw, it wasn't 'great' .......... he had the ball in his hands a lot but they could have done that with just about anyone.

11. Jihad Joe

3.5 a carry, right

Not gonna get it done in the real world

Sent from my HTC Vivid

12. SeanTaylor21

Yeah dude, I really didn't see anything spectacular from him this season athletically.

13. Jihad Joe

Watched him twice this year. Seemed like a very good burst and power, but marginal at best vision.

Some runs he looked exactly the Bears versions of Ced Benson. He'd hit the whole real nice like if he wasn't a good yard to the left.or right.of it

Sent from my HTC Vivid

14. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Since this was hijacked into a Trent Richardson thread, He: missed all preseason with a knee injury. Has been playing with a flak jacket because of a rib injury. Consistently runs against 8 or 9 because the west coast offense is predicated on short passes, we have Brandon Weeden at QB and 5 guys you've never heard of at WR, and weak play calling. (TR is in, I guess he's getting the ball. unless it's 3rd and 1. We're tricky like that). Still has double digit TDs on an offense that may not have had double digit TD's as a unit last year. Browns fans are ok with him.

15. Jihad Joe

Who are the real non Colt McCoy alternatives?

Drop a first rounder two years in a row. Call the Skins about Cousins availability?

Sent from my HTC Vivid

16. cpgobrowns

I wouldn't say that taking a QB in the first round last year would stop them from taking another one this year But, is there anyone coming out worth a top 10 pick? Especially since QBs will be way overvalued this year with Philadelphia, KC, Cleveland, NYJ, Ari, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Minnesota, and Oakland all possibly looking. I'm not opposed to giving Weeden another year. But, since they're probably rebooting the whole organization, I wouldn't be surprised if they went in a new direction.

17. Jihad Joe

Gleenon seems to be shooting up now.

Barkley IMO isn't nearly as overrated as he is being made out to be right now. I still think he is a top 15 pick and NFL QB

Sent from my HTC Vivid

18. CaptainStubing

:rofl: epic

i'm glad you guys are happy with him. personally, i would be a little lukewarm at best about my two first round picks, who were supposed to make an enormous impact and improve the offense immensely this year.

but, again, t.r. is just a rookie and may get better. weeden is already on social security so i'm not sure we're going to see huge improvement from him but maybe he can improve also.

19. SeanTaylor21

In his mind he's miles ahead of QB's like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning so why should he have to improve lol.

20. cpgobrowns

Yeah, Now is probably the time to start researching it, before the media starts manufacturing first round talent.