Bears Hire Marc Trestman As Head Coach

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by TheDuke, Jan 16, 2013.

1. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

In a surprise move, the Chicago Bears have hired Marc Trestman — most recently coach of the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, and a man who has been out of the NFL for eight years — to replace Lovie Smith as head coach, according to a published report.

The Chicago Tribune, quoting "an NFL source," reported Monday that Trestman, 57, would become the Bears' 14th head coach.

Chicago fired Smith on Dec. 31 after failing to make the playoffs despite the team's 10-6 record this season.

Trestman won the past two Grey Cups — the CFL's championship trophy — while compiling a 64-34 record in five seasons north of the border.

Trestman is known as a quarterbacks guru, brought to Chicago to work with the enigmatic Jay Cutler.

Source: FOXSports.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

I'm on board with this one...

3. AdiBear

AdiBear 1st Stringer

Hope you are right Tarkus...
    Kinda funny how Jimmy Johnson knew that he was going to be our head coach a week ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

I really thought they'd go Arians here...

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, this is an interesting hire. i like it.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

He has had success with some QBs during his career. Bernie Kosar, Steve Young, Jake Plummer, Rich Gannon. The year that Scott Mitchell was good, Trestman was there.

Also 3 Grey Cup Appearances with 2 titles and had the league MVP up there twice.

He's got the head coaching experience with the NFL experience to back it up.

7. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Like I said in another thread, I listen to alot of espn Chicago radio and they've been interviewing tons of people regarding the head coach search. And everyone they asked about Trestman had nothing but fantastic things to say about him. John Clayton, Steve Young, Adam Schefter. Schefter even said he's told executives in the past that Trestman would be a great head coach. And Steve Young agreed to do the show just to talk about how much he loved Trestman.

I think this is a good hire. The casual fan probably won't like it because its not a name they know. But heck them. I'm excited to see how it works out for Chicago.

8. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Honestly, I didn't even know who Marc Trestman was until I heard he was interviewing for this job. I did read about his coaching career in his wikipedia and liked what I read a lot.

9. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

I honestly hadn't heard of him before this but I did the same as Dabears and wow he could really do something with Cutler that would be amazing. This will be interesting to see can't say I'm not shocked that they didn't go with Bruce Arians.

10. Steve12

Yea I think cutler will really benefit from this hire. Plus having Kromer as the oc after working with Brees should be good for him.

Now lets all wait for misfitz to come in and ruin this thread.

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Trestmans a dinosaur that hasnt done anything really NFL relevant in over a decade. He was a hot name as a pontential HC candidate/offensive wunderkind like 20 years ago, but could never make that jump, let alone hold down a coordinator gig for more than a year or two because he was quite simply not very good. And now he's literally a senior citizen being brought out of the (not literally) retirement home of the CFL for his first NFL HC gig ever? The dude's old enough to be most of your grandfathers. This is going to be ugly, mark my words.

12. CaptainStubing

he's 57 wallace ........ :scratch: ........ you're acting like they hired a 70 year old ........

13. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

For a first time head coach 57 is ancient.

14. CaptainStubing

well, i suppose that's true but in real life, he's not THAT old ............. geez, you just trying to make me feel old too ? twinky :)

15. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

I think this is a great hire. He will likely help Jay lower his turnovers which would make him more consistent which is his biggest issue. I think this move could help make the Jay Cutler a better QB and get back to level that he was at in Denver.

Did I ruin the thread?

16. CaptainStubing

yes, now leave

17. Steve12

Nope you actually did very well. I didn't know it was possible for you to not troll while mentioning cutler. It was nice.

18. CaptainStubing

yes, misfitz is fine. i was just busting his balls .............. anyway, i was still butthurt from walnuts making fun of old farts like me.

19. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

Lol the Cutler stuff is all for fun it gets a reaction and keeps the board fun. I do think Smith is better but I dont think Cutler is Sanchize bad. He has potential as we saw in Denver its just been a different story in Chicago. I honestly believe that Lovie Smith is a QB Killer and that he doesn't know how to handle a QB. Trestman is the opposite of that and it will help the development of Cutler. I look at Lovie Smith and Rex Ryan and see guys that put their defense first and overlook the QB position and the QBs suffer. Why is Cutler playing worse almost each year since coming to Chicago and why has Sanchez been on the decline as well. Alex Smith had Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary and was inconsistent and both of them figured they could win on defense no matter what the offense was doing. He than gets an offensive minded QB guru and he starts playing at a high level and sheds the bust label. Cutler when he played under Shanahan(another qb guru) he played very well and was on pace to be a top 10 QB each year.

20. CaptainStubing

yes, you are correct misfitz. this move was made for one reason and one reason only ....... to 'fix' cutler and maximize his potential.

and walnuts is still an ageist