Super Bowl XLVII: San Francisco 49ers Vs Baltimore Ravens (Sunday, Feb. 3rd, 2013)

Discussion in 'NFL Gameday' started by SRW, Jan 20, 2013.

?

Who Will Win Super Bowl XLVII?

1. San Francisco 49ers

18 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Baltimore Ravens

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. Payton3434

Payton3434 Rookie

I've got the Ravens winning this game. Not that the 49ers are a sloutch team I just think their defense is going to be way too much for Mr. K and the boys. I always say Offense gets you to the Championship but Defense wins the Championship. I don't give a rats butt about Ray Lewis I just feel their D is going to choke the 49ers O.

2. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

I picked the Ravens as well. Flacco looked to be in total control in the 2nd half against the Pats. If that momentum carries over to the SB, it might not matter how many points SF scores. Looking forward to the game.

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i think this should be a competitive game.

i believe the niners are a little more talented overall but the ravens have a balanced offense and should be able to move the ball pretty well. the ravens have the experience edge but i think if the niners can force a couple of turnovers or more, giving themselves a couple of extra possessions, that's how they will win this game.

if the ravens don't give the ball up, limit their turnovers to none or 1, i think they can outscore the niners.

if i had to guess, i would say the niners get 2 or 3 turnovers and end up winning 35-31 but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it went the other way.

4. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

no disrespect to the raven's offense but the pats havent had a good defense since their last superbowl. thus y brady hasnt won another ring. alex smith would pick them apart. niner's defense took the falcons offense best shot and only scored 24 points. i dont even got to tell you that they have a better offense and are more talented @ every position but runningback.

I swear that everyone is putting this raven defense on a Pedestal. i honestly dont think they can match the niners with moss, crabtree, d walker, and davis. they also have to contain kaep. its really pick your poison.

5. CaptainStubing

well, the ravens D isn't what it was 5 or 10 years ago, no doubt, but their offense is very formidable. do not underrate it. boldin, smith, and pitta are better than the trio of crabtree, moss, and davis. both teams have very good o-lines and good running backs. and the niners defense hasn't exactly been dominant recently (basically since justin smith got hurt).

don't get overconfident. the ravens are a smart, experienced bunch.

6. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

There is a lot for the Ravens to have to account for, but one thing that really stuck out to me is the pash rush battle. Kaep's sack percent is 3.3% compared to Smith's at 9%. That is a huge difference. Even though the teams are somewhat different this year, the Ravens mostly won the game last year thanks to 9 sacks. They're going to have to play this game constantly trying to control lanes, instead of just rushing up. Kaep has shown he can pick a defense apart or throw deep with accuracy. And not to mention having to account for the pistol plays, where if he gets an edge its a 50 yard touchdown, or if you close him out, Gore and LaMichael bleed you inside all game and chew up clock. I think SF offense is better than Balt defense. And on defense, SF has been handling all sorts of offenses all year long. The pass defense has been much improved and like [MENTION=835]Sl1m3y[/MENTION] said SF took the Falcons best shot in the first half, and gave up ZERO points in the second half. It'll be a tough game, best match up in my opinion. I thought the Ravens would be a tougher opponent than NE. To be the best, Niners have to beat the best.

7. CaptainStubing

good breakdown. i agree with everything in this post except that the niners defense has played well recently.

for example, i wouldn't exactly agree that the niners shut down the falcons in the 2nd half of that game.

the first falcons drive was the int where white slipped. i don't think the niners really created that.

the 2nd drive was where ryan fumbled the ball without even being touched. obviously the niners didn't create that.

the 3rd drive was a 3 and out where the falcons came up a yard short on 3rd and 6. that was a good stop.

the last drive the falcons drove the ball fairly easily all the way down the field and if not for some extra tight coverage on roddy white, it would have kept going and the falcons may have taken the lead.

i'm sensing a lot of confidence from the niners fan regarding how their defense matches up with the ravens offense. maybe you're right but personally, i think if the ravens protect the ball and don't turn the ball over, they can easily put up 400 yds and 30 pts on anyone. the only question at that point would be, can the niners out-score them?

8. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

I see what you're saying here, but I didn't say they shut them down. I said they allowed zero points which is true. And also to say they didn't create those things isn't entirely accurate in my opinion. On the Roddy slip, Cully recognized where Ryan was going right away and broke on the ball and made the catch. If he doesn't recognize this or catch it, then that would've been a different outcome.

Ryan was trying to sneak a peak up at the defensive alignments and such and took his eyes away from the snap and fumbled. The Niners recovered it. Did they physically tackle and strip him of the ball... no. But they were opportunistic and got in position to make the play. And I'm sure the pressure and scheme they had been putting on Ryan throughout the game influenced his mistake. We only had 1 sack on him, but when I read the stat lines of the amount of hurries, pressures and knockdowns there were by Aldon alone, was impressive.

I don't remember how many possessions the Falcons had in the first half, but they had the ball for a lot longer than in the second half, which is also important to recognize as the 49er offense got going in the 2nd quarter. Gave the Falcons less possessions to work with as well.

As far as confidence goes, I get nervous all the time. When we went down 14 points quick and the way the Falcons were scoring, I was thinking Damn, the defense needs to get a stop and the O can't go three and out anymore. Sure enough, next series we get back in it, and the D started making it tougher on them. But I've read so much every game about how the Niners are going to lose, and discrediting what they are capable of, and then I watch the games and I just see certain things that make me believe that can beat just about anybody.

9. CaptainStubing

well, i don't know where you have been reading that stuff but the niners were favored to win both of their playoff games thus far and they are favored again in this game so whoever is writing each week that they are going to lose is obviously not a real reliable source. i would stop reading their stuff.

the niners are very capable of beating anyone in this league. however, so are the ravens. i think we've got a pretty good match-up and hopefully it will be a fun game.

10. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

I read a lot of stuff from all over like analysts (former athletes included), blogs, etc. I think it's cause how they're doing it doesn't look like how other teams do it, so people have a hard time wrapping their brain around if its good or not. Plus, the sexy stats (ton of passing yards and touchdowns, turnovers, etc.) aren't necessarily there, so there's an assumption of that too.

11. MadMoxxiFavGun

im going to disagree.

12. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Re: Super Bowl XLVII: San Francisco 49ers Vs Baltimore Ravens (Sunday, Feb. 3rd, 2013

Well then you are being a straight up homer. It is incredibly obvious that what he said is true.

13. MadMoxxiFavGun

based on what? stats? moss still can do better than boldin. if u need a ten yard catch, ur telling me ur not taking moss. come on man. outside torrey smith being the deep threat im taking crabtree over him every time. its really a shame that vernon davis doesnt get stats. we wouldnt even be talking about this. kaep doesnt target him alot. i sure kno that he sure draws doulbe teams like a motherhecker. im sure pitta doesnt see the kind double teams vernon does. it also doesnt help vernon that the ravens dont have a true number 1 reciever. crabtree has emerged.

14. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

VD is way better than Pitta, both catching and blocking. Also, Walker is better than twinkyson.

Crabtree has been one of the top recievers in the NFL down the stretch, far better than Boldin.

Moss is not as good as Torrey Smith, I'll give you that, but I think it's closer than you'll say. Smith is a great deep threat, but not a great possesion guy. We don't need Moss as a deep threat, cause we've got VD.

15. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

My "It's way too late but I'm going to pretend I know what I'm talking about" analysis-

Ravens

Keys to the game-

Protect Flacco- I know it's a bit obvious but I think this is THE most important thing they can do. If San Francisco can hit him early and often it can impact his ability to throw the deep ball by not giving him time for the routes to develop and shortening the internal clock in his head.

Don't over-focus on Rice- He is a phenomenal playmaker, but I think Bernard Pierce matches up better against San Francisco's D, he just seems to have that speed/power combo that has given them fits this year.

Limit man coverage- The secondary needs to be constantly keeping its collective eye on the running game.

Don't blitz- I've read so many articles saying to consistently pressure Kaep to make him flustered. All you are going to accomplish by blitzing is to hurt your strength at the back end and open running lanes. Paul Kreuger is a very good rush man as is Suggs. When you do bring any linebackers in bring the pressure up the middle and keep a spy on Kaep. Collapse the pocket, convince him to run, and limit the effects of his doing so.

Keep a spy- It will be interesting to see who they have assigned to watch Kaep. So far teams have been mostly unsuccessful doing so, but I think a guy like Pollard or Ellerby has the speed and ability to limit him. Reed should be kept in coverage, and I'm not convinced any of the other Lbs have the combination of veteran savvy and physical ability, not to mention they will be needed to stop Gore/LMJ.

Key player offense

Bryant McKinnie- LT

If he can't handle the Smith brothers the Ravens have no chance. He is going to have to maul in the run game and protect well in the passing game.

Key player Defense

Danelle Ellerbie- LB

I think he'll be the guy assigned to Kaep. He has great speed and anticipation, and I think they'll keep Pollard back mostly to protect the deep ball. I don't think Harbaugh will underestimate Kaep's arm as so many have seemed to so far.

X factor

Jacoby Jones- WR

Not only in the return game, but I think he is a burner with a good chance to get matched up against Culliver who has given up the most big plays this year in this secondary. SF will be focused on Smith, could make for a big day for Jones.

49ers

Keys to the game-

Remember your power identity- I'm not saying not to run the read option or the pistol. I'm saying to make sure to keep Bruce Miller active and run both TEs as much as possible. The Raven's D has struggled with power run games, and SF has one of the best.

Spread your weapons and take what you're given- Probably the hardest thing about defending the 9ers with Kaepernick is having that many play makers to account for. When the D has to rely on one or more defender just to watch the QB it will create mismatches and opportunity. Utilize everyone, including Bruce Miller, LMJ out of the backfield, even someone like Ginn as a WR. Take the open man and pick up yards wherever you can. Long sustained drives will shorten the game against a team that has made its way on comebacks.

Play deep- Don't let the recievers get behind you. Unless the run game begins to become a big issue I see Goldson and Whitner playing deep cover 2 most of the game.

Respect Flacco- This guy, if not elite, is damn close to it. This comes down to two things to me. Keep your defenders deep to respect his arm, and make him feel uncomfortable in the pocket. I don't care if you sack him or not, just keep him guessing at where the pressure is coming, as well as hitting him at every chance you get. Make his internal clock speed up and neutralize the deep ball.

Key player offense

Jonathan Goodwin- C

The Ravens bring a LOT of pressure up the middle, and are very successful with it. He will need to quickly recognize their blitz schemes and not only protect Kaep, but give Gore opportunity. If Frank gets going early, watch out, and that largely predicates on Goodwin.

Key player Defense

Dashon Goldson- S

He needs to stop the deep ball. I know this has become a reoccurring theme, but it is no less true. He is also the player I feel is best suited to make a game changing INT, which could prove to be the difference in this one.

X factor

Delaine Walker- TE

Also heavily considered LMJ. However, I think Walker is the right choice for two reasons. First, I foresee a lot of twin TE sets and a lot of favorable match ups where he will get his opportunities. Second, he is a bit of an X factor from his ability to make spectacular plays and conversely to blow easy ones. I expect the defense to be heavily focused on Vernon Davis, and if he can make them pay a few times it could open up both Vernon and Crabtree.

Bold predictions-

49ers have more big plays than Baltimore, but lose the turnover battle.

Despite losing the turnover battle 49ers are able to narrowly win the TOP game.

Akers doesn't miss a kick

LMJ or Ginn manage a big return

Overtime for the first time in SB history where SF wins with TD on first drive

49ers- 27
    Ravens- 20

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

To put it as short and as simple as possible, if the Niners can come out on the first play of the game and complete a deep pass to Moss and make the Ravens start accounting for him early, that'll open up the run game big time for San Fran taking a man out if the box. It could be that simple.

17. CaptainStubing

has boldin guaranteed a ravens victory yet like he did against the broncos and pats?

if not, i'm going with the niners

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

I've been waiting for it and haven't heard it yet...

19. nixaler

nixaler Pro Bowler

This Superbowl week has brought back so many memories of the Raiders/Bucs 10 years ago. Yes the comparison doesnt seem like it makes sense but NO ONE really gave the Bucs a chance against the Raiders. It was as though the Raiders were destined because of their team of legends. Almost every analyst and former player that I have listened to has picked the Ravens. This lack of attention on SF could possibly help them. The whole Bettis comparison is null & void IMO simply because the bus never won at that point and Lewis already has.

I dont care about all the stats people are throwing around because both of these teams have played like crap at times during the season and at others looked unbeatable. Just cause Lewis is retiring and Reed may not come back doesnt mean the niners arent going to show up and play ball.

I have said it before that this could also be Randy Moss's last shot (afterall he is the GOAT) LOL sorry. That statement did piss me off but anyways, as Rice (the REAL GOAT) said, he'd like to see Moss win one too.

This game could also be the coming out for Kaep as one of the leagues next elite... Kinda like how Brady replaced an injured #1 1 as well and brought them into the superbowl by knocking off a 13-3 #1 seed on the road.

Lets just hope, niners fans, that the team who won in 2 game chunks shows up Sunday and NOT the team that played Minn, NYG, STL x2, SEA LOL

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

The league is due for a clunker...could be a double digit victory...