Victor Butler Agrees To A Two-Year Deal With The Saints

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by SRW, Mar 28, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The New Orleans Saints signed free-agent linebacker Victor Butler to a two-year deal on Thursday.

Butler is reunited with defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, who was the leader of the Dallas Cowboys' defense the last two seasons before being fired in January.

Over the course of his four-year career, all with the Cowboys, the 25-year-old Oregon State product has tallied 69 tackles and 11 sacks.

Source: Sports Network

2. Harryaxel

Harryaxel Rookie

Good for you Vic I hope you get the playing time to one day get a huge contract. Also thank god he didn't go to Philly.

3. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

so I take it it is a good signing? paves the way to pick a tackle in the draft.

4. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Signing defense can't hurt.

5. Buck Fenson

Coach sure is attacking the weakness of his team. Can't wait to see how the draft turns out.

6. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Butler was the final player that the Cowboys drafted in 2009 that was still on the team from that draft.

7. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Building up weapons for their new 3-4 scheme. Getting Butler over one of the big name LB's that were out there tells me they like someone in the draft for their rush LB spot.

8. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Butler is at mininum a good rationale pass rusher. He may even be able to be a 10 sack guy in the weakside as a starter

However, anytime he has been pressed to start in Dallas he has struggled. And he is a weakside guy only. Not good VS the run and lost in coverage. So he may not be a very good starting option.

Even if he's not, its still a very good signing because he knows the system ( which can be very confusing) and can get consistent pressure off the bench

Sent from my HTC Vivid

9. Buck Fenson

So strictly a pass rusher only? Maybe they think he can improve tackling. I still think they should draft that safety out of Texas. Isn't he like one of the top two or three safeties coming out this draft?

10. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Pretty much. He has been in the NFL for 4 years, so he is what he is.

I could see Vacarro doing well in NO, but Ryan devalues the safety position. The position that is absolutely critical to his scheme is CB. I can see you guys going after Rhodes

Sent from my HTC Vivid

11. Buck Fenson

I hope the "lights" turn on for his this year. It is true we need a pass rusher badly but if he is a one trick pony then teams can scheme around that. Or run right at him at the very least. I never understood how a team can devalue a safety. They are the last line of defense and unless you have the Dome Patrol then good safety play is a must. The more I think about it I think Harper will be better in this alignment. Play more towards the line to stop the run.

12. saintskickass

saintskickass Special Teamer

Alot of competition for this spot. Im personally rooting 4 gillout