Networks Agree Not To Tip Picks During NFL Draft

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

ESPN and NFL Network have once again come together for a gentleman's agreement on the subject of tipping draft picks, Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated reports. Both networks have pledged not to show images of players on the phone in the green room at Radio City Music Hall. In addition to that, both networks tell SI.com that they will tell staffers not to report pick-by-pick selections on their Twitter feeds prior to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announcing the picks on the podium. The Twitter edict will extend into the second round of the draft. Teams have 10 minutes to pick in the first round, seven minutes in the second round and five minutes for the rest of the draft.

"Our fans have told us they would rather hear from the Commissioner and I think it is a better TV show when we speculate and let the Commissioner do it," said ESPN NFL senior coordinating producer Seth Markman, who oversees draft coverage for the network. "I have said in the past that [ESPN reporters] Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen can basically announce all the picks before they are made if they really wanted to. It goes against a lot of our instincts as journalists and it's totally different than anything I deal with, but we feel like it is a win for the fans and our viewers."

Adam Schefter added that Twitter is "such a part of the life we live now so it just figures it would extend to the NFL draft." But he still realizes the importance of the experience of watching the draft unfold on TV rather than the computer. "Some people like having that news instantaneously," he said. "Many don't like the surprise to be spoiled. I am not looking to spoil the drama or ruin the experience."

Source: The Redzone

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

:icon_rOlleyes:

Whatever...does it really matter? I mean when Mayock says look for so and so to go with a LB so and so out of douche college, he's pretty much tipping it. He's obviously getting a feed in the ear.

3. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

I think the funniest part is "the fans have told us they'd rather hear from the commissioner."

All of us are fans.. do we really want to hear it out of that heck's mouth? I know I don't.

4. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

It sure as crap beats watching a grown man cry like a snitch for 10 minutes on a phone.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

6. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I get tired of hearing the same crap rehashed over and over again,they should have commentators from nfl network and espn wrestle for who breaks the story on who will be taken next!

7. yisman

yisman The Ambivalent One

I'm wondering why it took so long

regardless of what the fans want, the NFL wants the suspense to build and to end only when the commissioner says so

They don't want networks spoiling the picks in advance.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

CBS is looking to heck both their lives up with LaConfora tweeting ahead...lol.

9. andy82

I was planing on avoiding Twitter on draft night anyway, but this should confirm me avoiding the place at all costs. Thanks for the heads up GIF'ers.

10. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I feel like Andy is with me on this but my favorite part of the draft is the surprise of it. I have a severe dislike of Roger Goodell but I still love when he makes his way up to make the announcement. Twitter and crap hecks it up b/c it ends up on facbeook and twitter and carrier pigeon, whatever. And heck Jason LaCanfora. That man bothers the crap out of me.

11. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

They said they weren't going to spoil last year too, and plenty of picks were spoiled.

12. andy82

This 100%. Reading a 100 or so character announcement just doesn't convey the whole excitement that the Draft brings watching it all unfold unspoiled on TV.