Dolphins Cancel Sun Life Stadium Renovations

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins' started by SRW, May 5, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The Miami Dolphins likely lost their shot at hosting Super Bowl L when Florida lawmakers opted not to approve a deal that would publicly fund improvements to aging Sun Life Stadium.

Could the consequences be even greater?

Dolphins CEO Mike Dee said Sunday on Miami's CBS affiliate that the team will not provide any upgrades to Sun Life Stadium without the help of public funding. The Dolphins have canceled all renovation plans and say stadium improvements cannot be made without public-private partnership.

Dee left the door open that the stadium issue could lead to the Dolphins' eventual exit from southern Florida.

"The Dolphins are one of the only franchises in the NFL that don't have a long-term lease with their community," Dee said, according to The Palm Beach Post. "At some point, somebody's going to buy the franchise from (Dolphins owner Stephen Ross), and clearly the stadium is the first thing they would need to address."

Source: NFL.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2013
  2. DCoach_R

DCoach_R Special Teamer

Dude, If I had the money I would pay for the whole thing. That sucks man. I feel like they just let the whole team and city down.

3. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

It wasn't Dee or Ross, it's the butt backwards legislature in Florida not even allowing the renovations to be put up to a vote.

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i think if the state is giving tax breaks/tifs to regular businesses, they should also to sports teams. there is no difference.

and i know you guys don't feel this way but the marlins debacle absolutely would affect their thinking with this decision.... whether that's right or wrong ...........and it doesn't matter to them if ross claims he will pay them back ........ ross may go bankrupt and not be able to pay them back. they feel they can't take that chance after the Loria fiasco.

but, personally, i think if the state of florida is giving tax breaks to regular businesses, they should also for their sports teams.

5. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Taxpayer financed stadiums aren't very profitable for the taxpayers. And why is it sucking the government teet when it's something like healthcare for citizens, but it's a public/private partnership when it's giving billionaires a new stadium?

6. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Normally I agree, but the renovations would create 4000-5000 jobs. And Ross was going to pay back all he borrowed, and was already putting up almost all the money.

7. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

What happens to the 5000 yobs when the renovations are done?

8. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

The same thing that happens to any other contractor, wait for the next job but having a job like this on a resume is pretty impressive. And about 500-1000 of those jobs will be at the stadium one way or another, whether its an usher or security.

9. DCoach_R

DCoach_R Special Teamer

Those would be some pretty awesome jobs if you ask me, even if they just security.

10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

500-1000 seems awfully high for permanent new jobs created. It's just renovations...

Lots of other good stuff here.

PolitiFact Florida | Miami Dolphins PAC says that stadium renovation will "create more than 4,000 new local jobsâ€Â￾

11. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

I haven't read the details. Thought it was one of those 'have a stadium and a blow**b on the taxpayers' type deals. From the rhetoric I did read, the talk of the dolphins leaving Miami sounds overblown. Why can't he finance from a bank? Are they just crying because that's what they have to do now?

12. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Then why not just borrow the balance from a financial institution if he intends to pay it back?

13. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Interest rates. Besides what other sports teams borrows from a private lender?

14. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Nobody, but they also don't front like they intend to pay for it all themselves and just need a little help from the public to make the nut. If he's actually intent on paying for it himself then he should do so. If the public is helping him finance the deal, with a promise of being repaid in a few years, then they should be getting at least bank loan interest rates on what they are loaning him anyway. He shouldn't get a break just because it isn't from a bank.

15. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Is it even allowed by the NFL to have a privately funded loan?