New York City FC Set To Become 20th MLS Club

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sports' started by TheDuke, May 21, 2013.

1. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Major League Soccer announced on Tuesday in partnership with Manchester City and the New York Yankees that the 20th team in the league would be New York City FC.

The new team is expected to begin play in 2015.

“We proudly welcome two of the most prestigious professional global sports organizations to Major League Soccer,â€￾ MLS commissioner Don Garber said in a statement. “This is a transformational development that will elevate the league to new heights in this country. The New York area is home to more than 19 million people, and we look forward to an intense crosstown rivalry between New York City Football Club and the New York Red Bulls that will captivate this great city.â€￾

For Garber, it’s the successful finish of over three years of negotiations to bring a second team to New York City. For the league, the $100 million it has received in expansion fees can be spread around the league.

Source:Soccer By Ives
    [​IMG]

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

um, ok. the 2nd team in L.A. (chivas) isn't doing real great with fan support. the first N.Y. team is just doing 'ok' with popularity. Not sure why they think this was the smartest expansion move.

this league seems to be doing better in mid-size markets. i would have thought that would be the direction they would go but they didn't ask me.

3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Twenty teams in a soccer league are a lot. Only powerhouses like Spain or England can get enough players for that many teams. A more realistic number is between 14 and 18.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

pretty much every major league in the world has between 18 and 20 teams. i'm ok with 20 teams, i'm just not sure it was smart to put a 2nd team in NY when the first one is only doing 'ok'.

in general, i have been surprised at how much the league's popularity has grown in the last few years. i thought it would take longer.

there are a few teams that are not doing well (chivas, san jose, new england) but maybe if new england could get a stadium built, they would be o.k.

i don't think they should add any more teams from here. 20 teams is the max. they should probably start looking for new homes for chivas and san jose though. preferably mid-sized markets. that's where this league can thrive.

i can't believe i'm talking this much about soccer. don't ever watch it. bores me to death.