American Indians In Virginia Have No Issue With Redskins Name

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by Sweets, May 16, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

D.C. politicians have stirred the pot when it comes to the name of the Washington Redskins but American Indian tribes in Virginia have no issue with it.

Paul Woody of the Richmond Times-Dispatch contacted the heads of three tribes and they had no issue with the name, which Redskins owner Daniel Snyder emphatically said would not change.
    Here are the responses Woody received:

*** “It doesn’t bother me,†Robert Green, the chief of the Patawomeck Tribe, told Woody. “About 98 percent of my tribe is Redskins fans, and it doesn’t offend them, either.â€

*** “I’m a Redskins fan, and I don’t think there’s any intention for (the nickname) to be derogatory,†said Kevin Brown, chief of the Pamunkey Tribe. “The majority of the people in my tribe don’t have a problem with it. There are a few who do, and we respect their feelings. I like the uniforms. I like the symbol (logo).â€

*** “I don’t have an issue with it,†said G. Anne Richardson, chief of the Rappahannock Tribe. “There are so many more issues that are important for the tribe than to waste time on what a team is called. We’re worried about real things, and I don’t consider that a real thing.

“We’re more worried about our kids being educated, our people housed, elder care and the survival of our culture. We’ve been in that survival mode for 400 years. We’re not worried about how some ball team is named.â€

So, any calls to change the name of a team with a headquarters in Virginia is not coming from a tribe in the state.

Source: National Football Post

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

All of them huh?

3. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

I'm not so sure most REAL Indians have a problem with this. As G. Anne Richardson stated they have more important things to worry over. Say what you want, but political correctness has gotten out of hand in the last 10 years. All it takes is one person to complain about something now a days and mindless people jump on the band wagon.

4. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Of course some people have a problem with the name,but most folks do not cause they see them name as what it is to most people,a mascot! I don't hear about the other redskins mascots elsewhere catching flack for their nicknames,just the most popular one!

5. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

Cleveland Indians are next.....

6. falloutboy14

falloutboy14 Rookie

In the end this is a financial decision. Really there's only 2 ways the Redskins will change their name.
    1) If Redskins fans en masse decide they cannot follow the team because they view it as offensive.
    2) NFL sponsors and other partners (nbc/fox/cbs/espn) get pressured, and this affects the money they are willing to pay to be associated with the NFL.

7. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Theres 11 recognized tribes in Virginia and 10000+ native people. Interviewing the heads of 3 of them, and then making a blanket statement like "American Indians in Virginia have no issue with Redskins name", is lazy.

8. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Thisssss

9. Badger

Badger Rookie

Anyone who thinks the team name isn't racist is seriously kidding themselves. It needs to be changed and that's all there is to it.

Sent from my grain flow forged iPhone using Tapatalk

10. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I'm done making the case for it to be changed, but you're absolutely right, ignoring the issue of whoever is or isnt offended by the name, I can't see how anyone says its not racist. The California Black Skins wouldn't be acceptable, would it?

11. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Is it even a term that's used in a racist way anymore? I have never (over going on 40 years) heard anyone use the term "redskin" to describe another person other than one associated with the football team. Meanings of words do change. Maybe now it just means a mascot of a football team that plays in Maryland but calls itself Washington.

12. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

How about each tribe do their own polls among all their members in the US and see how it falls. If the tribes don't like it let them work with Snyder to find something they want. Not some pencil pusher. If they end up not caring let it go and find something else as your cause.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  13. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Only time I ever heard it used other than in football terms was on the outlaw josey wales,when that ole woman told the old indian chief" we sure are gonna get those redskins." and after she said it she added,"no offense" real fast. in today's world people will whine snitch and complain about anything that will bring them attention!

14. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

It's just a name, who cares. Change it. It's not going to change the players on the field, coaches on the sideline, location of the stadium, or the past history of the team. It's still DC football, no matter what the team's called, and I guarantee you that eventually it will be changed whether you like it or not, so might as well get it over with.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's just a name. Don't change it. What they could do is stop being so overly sensitive...lol.

16. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I'm like 1/74th Native American. I think it's fine.

17. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

only way I ever see the name changing is if somebody comes and offers the redskins a boatload of money to change it,outside of that,the name won't be changing anytime soon! people are still gonna wear redskins stuff if that happens and the nfl will still sell redskins stuff too,so people whining and snitching about the name,should get over it!

18. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

They weren't okay with it, and then Alfred Morris and RG3 happened. -.-

19. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Never heard anybody complain about it seriously until this year!

20. Badger

Badger Rookie

You don't hear very well then because the city has tried to get them to change the name several times.
    Just change it. The name is racist and makes D.C. look bad.