Former QB Joe Theismann Believes NBA Star Lebron James Could Be NFL Quarterback

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by 86WARD, May 27, 2013.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

If LeBron James really wants one day to be a quarterback, a possible mentor has emerged.

Super Bowl champion and two-time Pro Bowl signal-caller Joe Theismann said he's willing to offer his services this summer to teach the Miami Heat star the position. In fact, Theismann, who lives in Memphis, said he wouldn't hesitate to approach James, 28, with the idea if the Grizzlies were to face the Heat in the NBA Finals.

"I would love to work him out and also serve as his agent," Theismann said in a phone interview Saturday with FOX Sports Florida. "I'll go wherever he wants this summer. He could play another four years in the NBA before seriously trying the NFL. ... There are not a lot of 38- or 39-year-old basketball players, but there are 38- and 39-year-old quarterbacks, so there's always time for him."

It all started Friday when James was asked if he could have been a good quarterback had he put his mind to it. He has thrown some impressive long passes in games to Heat guard Dwyane Wade, including one for a layup in an overtime victory over Indiana in Game 1 of the ongoing Eastern Conference finals.

"I think so," said James, who played quarterback on the freshman team at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School in Akron, Ohio, in 1999 before shifting to wide receiver on the varsity in 2000 and 2001. As a senior in 2002, James chose to concentrate on basketball. "I have the ability. I can see and read plays. I study a lot, so I know defenses and things of that nature. So I would have been pretty good if I had decided to go for it."

How good? Theismann said there are so many variables to being an NFL quarterback, but he wouldn't rule out James being able to play the position in the league because of his athleticism and his smarts.

"I wouldn't count him out. He's the most tremendous physical specimen in all of sports," Theismann said about the 6-foot-8, 250-pound James. "I think he's certainly talented enough. He's intelligent. He's like the quarterback on the Miami Heat, but there are so many things (to being an NFL quarterback).

"There's reading defenses. There's throwing the ball with touch. There's throwing a spiral in the wind. Maybe his hands are too big. The football is a different shape, and a basketball is obviously a lot bigger than a football."

Source: http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/nba...Joe-Theismann-see?blockID=905433&feedID=10140

2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

This is goobered. Seriously.

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Shut the heck up Theismann

4. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

QB, no. But as a TE LBJ would be a beast.

5. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

I think that LT hit had a delayed reaction. Cause that's some dumb crap he said.

6. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

this is nonsense, but lebron oculd have literally played any sport he wanted to. If he was going to play in the NFL his position would have been TE or DE, but thats only cause hes a bit too tall to play QB, hes super athletic which has never been seen from a tall, lanky QB but his knees would be in for a rough time

7. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Sounds like something Joe Namath would say lol.

8. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

Flops too much. Wouldn't make it.

9. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Yeah flops too much.... :Loco:

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's funny that anyone that can't play QB can automatically play TE...