Celtics And Clippers Reach Agreement For Doc Rivers

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by SRW, Jun 23, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com reports the Clippers and Celtics have reached an agreement to release coach Doc Rivers from his contract with the Celtics and allow him to sign with Los Angeles in exchange for a 2015 first-round draft pick.

The Clippers have also agreed to pick up the three-years and $21 million left on his current contract.

Berger reports that the league will allow the deal to send the pick to Boston in exchange for releasing Rivers, but will not allow any subsequent trade that involves Kevin Garnett. The league would view any such trade as disallowable under the current CBA which does not allow for players to be exchanged in any deal involving coaches.

The league had made it clear they would no budge even if the two teams split the deal into two components, with one the aforementioned deal and the separate a player-packed deal in exchange for Garnett, with some of the assets intended as compensation for Rivers as well as Garnett in a packag deal.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keNI3NXv5SA&feature=ytfce"]Sources: Doc Rivers Headed To Clippers - YouTube[/ame]

Source: CBS Sports

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, they finally got it done. it will be interesting to see if doc can get this perceived underachieving bunch further in the playoffs

3. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

Wonder what'll happen with KG now

4. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Nice upgrade from Vinny Del Negro.

5. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

You would have been a nice upgrade from Vinny. :icon_smile:

6. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I thought HCs couldn't be traded from one team to another according to the rules set down by Emperor Stern. I remember a few years back when Stan Van Gundy went from one team to another in exchange for some draft picks. Apparently, the rules are different for teams in major markets.

7. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

Doc wasn't traded, but he was. The Clippers sent compensation for signing him, which is allowed...I don't know. Stern's a moron. I can't wait for him to retire, just so Sheed Cuban/Sheed/Artest can knock him out

8. URL54MVP

URL54MVP Pro Bowler

I like Doc as a coach and I agree he is an upgrade for VDN but still...I'm not sure I see the Clippers improving THAT much without some personnel changes too. Not necessarily major changes but some change.

9. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Wonder if the Cowboys can trade an owner, GM, and HC for something.