Attorney Says Former Bears DT Chris Zorich Is Broke

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by SRW, Jul 3, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Chris Zorich — the former Chicago Bears star whose tax problems landed him in federal court — is broke, his attorneys said Wednesday.

Zorich, 44, has a net worth of $302,000, but owes $348,000 in a case the Illinois attorney general brought over the questionable finances of his charity — and likely more than $90,000 more in IRS interest and penalties, his lawyers said in a court filing.

“Christopher Zorich’s current net worth therefore is actually a substantially negative number,†his lawyers said.

In March, the former NFL defensive tackle pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges that he failed to file federal income tax returns for four years while earning more than $1 million in gross income.

“Chris Zorich’s true financial condition is that he faces heavy financial obligations and he will be struggling to meet them for some time,†according to his lawyers.

Federal sentencing guidelines call for Zorich to serve 10 to 16 months in prison, but his attorneys are calling for the judge to give him probation, noting that “his good works and helping nature are well known and have been life long.â€

His sentencing is scheduled for July 12.

Source: Chicago Sun Times

2. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Not breaking news to me since tons of former athletes go broke after their playing career. That is what happens when you live an expensive life style and owe an up the butt amount of money to the government, IRS, etc.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Yea, the answer from most athletes when asked what they'll do after their playing days should be:

Working for the IRS to try & stay out of jail...

4. DaBearsrule4ever

With athletes at this day and age, that is hard to do.

5. URL54MVP

URL54MVP Pro Bowler

I have an authentic Zorich Bears jersey. True story!

6. SRW

Many of these guys never get the right people taking care of their money or giving them the right financial advise. It's usually that or them burning though their money like it's going out of style and not putting enough away for their later years.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

And Instill find it hard to believe that they can't get it right after seeing what has happened to their peers year after year after years.

8. SRW

Never underestimate the depth of stupidity people can stoop to. People feel it won't happen to them until they are so deep they can't get out of the hole they have dug for themselves.

9. DaBearsrule4ever

It's people like this that I refuse to feel sorry for.

10. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Shame to hear about this. The NFL minimum salary is more than enough to live on. Then again I wouldn't know cause I've never made that much money lol.

11. SRW

Yeah no joke. Some people would give up a left nut for a NFL minimum salary.

12. DaBearsrule4ever

As long as you don't live an expensive life style, break the law, or owe the government or IRS money, you would be fine with the vet minimum salary, lol.

13. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker