Falcons TE Tony Gonzalez Says ‘Nothing Out Of Bounds’ With Insults In NFL Locker Rooms

Discussion in 'Atlanta Falcons' started by markaz, Nov 8, 2013.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Dolphins offensive lineman Jonathan Martin alleges that his teammates, especially Richie Incognito, bullied and harassed him to the point that he left the team last week.

Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez has seen a lot of ribbing among players in his 17 NFL seasons and said it’s part of the “unique officeâ€￾ of locker rooms and in his view, the hazing issue has been “blown upâ€￾ in the wake of the Martin story and the league shouldn't take any special actions to address the matter.

Source: AJC.com

markaz's Take: God knows I'm a HUGE Tony Gonzales fan, but I completely disagree with Gonzo on this one. There's a massive difference between "ribbing" a teammate vs. crossing the line and verbally abusing them. There's a point that it's no longer ribbing. As far as the locker room Gonzo says "nothing is out of bounds" in the article. I just can't buy into that one.

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Markaz, i understand your viewpoint and it is a valid one. People are built differently.

However, in this case, it actually doesn't help the argument for Martin. An NFL locker room, whether it should be or not, is a place full of men who feel they are putting their bodies/lives on the line for each other every day, similar to a military unit, fire station, police station, etc.

Each guy wants to know the guy standing next to him has just as much courage and commitment to their cause. Its a trust issue.

Non confrontational people, as you describe it, probably are not cut out for certain occupations. That may apply In this situation.

Martin is a smart dude. He may be better suited and be happier being a banker or an accountant or a physician.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Falcons TE Tony Gonzalez Says ‘Nothing Out Of Bounds’ With Insults In NFL Loc...

It's not
    Comparable to the military.

4. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

If just one coach or player would have stated that Martin's play at OT was substandard and couldn't be trusted to do his job, then maybe.

I do want to hear why he missed those OTA's. Although voluntary, his missing those two does not help build a cohesive unit. If he missed them because of the "bullying" issue, that's one thing. Anything else then it's pretty much inexcusable.

5. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Re: Falcons TE Tony Gonzalez Says ‘Nothing Out Of Bounds’ With Insults In NFL Loc...

Not in the sense of the importance of their job, but it is in the sense of how they make sacrifices to their body for the betterment of an entire unit.

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Re: Falcons TE Tony Gonzalez Says ‘Nothing Out Of Bounds’ With Insults In NFL Loc...

it doesn't matter if WE don't think it is comparable to the military or a fire station or a police station. if the PLAYERS feel it is, then they expect the same type of courage, intensity, and committment from the guy standing right next to them.

and if they don't feel they have it, they aren't going to trust the guy.

7. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

Totally agree. In order for a team to win and be successful the unit needs to act as one. IMO that is very similar to how the military works. You're only as strong as your weakest link.