Should Dennis Allen be on notice?

Discussion in 'Oakland Raiders' started by SRW, Dec 15, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/107280/should-dennis-allen-be-on-notice

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  2. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I really dont think he should be "on notice", so to speak, but he probably will be. He and McKenzie didn't inherit a very good team, and they tore it down a bit even from there...basically they were completely restarting a team from close to zero while drastically changing the way the team has traditionally built a roster. It's not an ideal situation or a quick and easy process. They are going to have an absolute crapload of money to spend this year, if I'm not mistaken, and the next couple years after that, with a couple draft classes in the books as well, should be when they really either show legitimate progress or show that they aren't the answer. I feel like, if you're in Davis' shoes, you've got to give them a realistic chance to see it through if you were willing to let them do it in the first place.

But Davis definitely has the potential to be just as crazy as his dad so who knows.

I feel like Harbaughs recent immediate success has put a lot of undue pressure on new coaches to do the same, but Harbaugh had a ton of pro bowl talent that just needed some cohesion and direction, it's not like he took a team of scrubs and castoffs from the cellar to the throne...guys like Allen and Bradley are kind of hecked from the jump. I love the guy as a coach but I guarantee that if Harbaugh went to Jacksonville or Oakland instead of SF, he's still not in the playoffs, let alone a Super Bowl.

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, this team was a mess when they inherited it. the mistakes of Al and Hue really hurt them.

However, on the other hand, McKenzie and Allen have now had 2 seasons to implement their plan and their players and I'm not seeing a ton of improvement (they still suck as badly as they did 2 years ago). and, maybe we could excuse their lack of obvious improvement on the field if they were developing a ton of young players, but I'm not seeing a ton of young talent that mckenzie and allen have brought in and developed that they can build upon.

I would be fine with giving Allen one more year and then giving McKenzie one more head coach hire if they suck again next year, but at this point I can't say I'm overly impressed.