Xenforo - Suggestion Box

Discussion in 'GridironFans Support' started by 86WARD, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Why don't threads or posts in the AFC/NFC News sections show up in the new posts link or active discussions sidebar?

86WARD likes this.
  2. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

I had an entire conversation with myself earlier today in a thread in the Panthers forum. Those news threads are like the black holes of the site.

Walnuts and 86WARD like this.
  3. 86WARD

86WARD -

I believe Kurt is working on something. I've asked for a Latest News Stories Link to be added next to New Posts that will give you all the "News Stories" and then one that combines them both. If they went into New Posts, that would be a mess because they are being filled in by bots...hence the reason you see weird threads in team forums. The Colts has been the worst...there seems to be more LeBron stories for some reason than Colts stories...lol.

4. SRW

Yeah I dunno what RSS feeds he is using but he should consider setting up some filters with Yahoo Pipes so he gets relevant content to the forum. Too bad the posts are so truncated too.

Wonder if he can set it up where outgoing links open in a lightbox, retaining members here.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

They are coming from the local papers RSS Feeds. So if the Pittsburgh Post-Gazzette, for example, sticks a story about something off the wall in the Steelers feed, it shows up here in the Steelers section. Obviously you can see by the activity there that it's not getting the looks or comments...

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Honestly I had no idea they even existed anymore until recently. On the old GIF, I'd come in, click on "New Posts", scan all the new news posts to see if there was anything I wanted to chime in about, hit up the existing conversations that had new posts, and go from there. When the news stopped showing up there at the transfer, I kind of assumed it was either something still being worked out logistically, or that the new guys weren't going to be a "news" site like the old GIF was. Then the other day I ended up in the Redskins forum randomly and was like holy crap look at all this. Had zero idea.

Kurt, Steve12 and 86WARD like this.
  7. 86WARD

86WARD -

I've been trying to convey this exact same point (and issue.)

Kurt and Walnuts like this.
  8. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I mean if there's an actual post from a member after the "bot" post, that should show up in "new posts" at the very least.

9. SRW

Is the staff/ownership considering any modifications? What is the plan to set this site apart from every other forum out there?

Kurt likes this.
  10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I think the biggest problem with it is really just force of habit from extended time in the old layout, although being able to get at everything in one spot (new posts) is nice. It's like trying to use a Mac after a while with a PC or vice versa. Takes a minute to get used to. And while I'm obviously not the quickest on the uptake, if I didn't realize it was like that, I'm sure there are other dimwits who don't as well.

Kurt likes this.
  11. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Yea this is the first I've heard of that. I had no clue.

12. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

@mentions should be working fine, they do for me - I'll test again with my test account to ensure it's not a permissions issues -

Click here to send a PM - this is called "Start a New Conversation" located in your inbox and inbox drop down on PC.

Vbullitin versus XenForo - The websites numbers almost double when we moved to xenforo and I personally noticed more folks posting that never posted before... BUT at the same time there's a couple that bailed out completely. Nevertheless, the move had to be made because the other software wasn't built to scale like I'd like to see happen with this website. It was a resource hog and cost more to run (server cost) and the website just can't support itself like that right now.

Here's the stats since switch to xenforo:

[​IMG]

13. Kurt

You can delete them - it's called "Leave Conversation" instead of delete. I think the Xenforo guys over thought it there.. but the fact is that the conversation are NOT deleted, you're just removing yourself from the thread (conversation/PM) - @86WARD @markaz

[​IMG]

86WARD likes this.
  14. Kurt

@SRW @Walnuts @86WARD

Help me out.. I need some ideas on how to handle NEWS - We can't have mods posting news because it isn't going to be consistent, right... whats the point of manual posting if there isn't a way to consistently post news for each team.

What I can do is truncate all the headlines into one / two or three post per day, per team. Then allow this to show up in the new post link.. this will lower chatter in the "new post" area as well keep those forums alive.. thoughts?

15. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

The only real "chatter" I'm seeing is the same post (example: Shanahan firing) being posted in every teams forum instead of just the Redskins. I realize with the "bots" that you don't have the same level of control over what gets posted newswise, though...

16. Kurt

The BOTS have been stopped and all NEWS is now moderated.

VERY SORRY for my rookie mistake.

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Cool. Just taking some getting used to on the new format...

18. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I apologize if I came off as being critical of your work or something like that, that wasn't my intention. I wasn't complaining about the bots or trying to say you were doing something wrong, just pointing out that they were picking up and reposting the same story repeatedly. Other than that it was kind of nice getting articles from other sources than the same old nfl.com/pft/redzone stuff that's everywhere else too.

19. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

...double

20. Kurt

no offense taken whatsoever .. trying my best, albeit slowly, to make GIF useful beyond just a forum.