Rod Marinelli could be Buccaneers' defensive coordinator under Lovie Smith

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Buccaneers' started by Kurt, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

[​IMG]
    The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are going all-out on this coaching staff, trying to bring the old Tampa 2 gang back together. Rod Marinelli is the next name on the list, but his presence may be an issue: he's under contract with the Cowboys.

Leslie Frazier appears to be the most likely candidate as defensive coordinator under Lovie Smith, but Pat Yasinskas of ESPN mentions that Rod Marinelli will be Smith's coordinator.

Hearing that Rod Marinelli, not Leslie Frazier, will be Lovie Smith's DC.

— Pat Yasinskas (@PatYazESPN) January 2, 2014

The issue here will be the Dallas Cowboys. Marinelli is still under contract with the Cowboys, who are widely expected to fire current defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin. It's not clear whether the Cowboys would want to retain Marinelli in that scenario, and the Bucs' history of blocking coaches from interviewing for other jobs will hurt them in trying to get Marinelli to come back to Tampa. NFL teams can block their coaches from interviewing for any non-head coaching position.

Rod Marinelli would be an outstanding hire for the Buccaneers, however. He has a long history of success as both a defensive line coach and defensive coordinator. He was instrumental in coaching the defensive linemen that built the vaunted Tampa 2 defense for the Bucs, as he was with the team from 1996 trough 2005. Former defensive linemen adore him, with Warren Sapp and Stephen White frequently praising his work.

While he subsequently failed as a head coach in Detroit, he resurrected his career in Chicago, where he spent four years as a defensive line coach and later defensive coordinator, with a lot of success. More success than Leslie Frazier ever had in Minnesota. Getting both Frazier and Marinelli to come to Tampa would be a ridiculous scoop, even for Lovie Smith.

If he were to come to Tampa he'd have a chance to help disappointing high draft picks Adrian Clayborn and Da'Quan Bowers reach their substantial potential. With Gerald McCoy, Lavonte David, Mark Barron, Darrelle Revis and Dashon Goldson already in place, this defense has the players to become a dominant force in short order.

Marinelli has actively tried to stick around his fellow Tampa 2 coaches, turning down the opportunity to stick around as defensive coordinator in Chicago last year to become defensive line coach for the Cowboys under Monte Kiffin. If he can convince the Cowboys to let him go, it would make sense for him to want to join hands with Lovie Smith once again.

[​IMG]
    More from Bucs Nation
    Follow @Bucs_Nation Follow @SBNationNFL

Source: Continue reading...

2. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

This blows I was hoping he'd be our next DC when Kiffen is canned.

I guess JJ has released him from his contract

3. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

We'll crap can Kiffin and go after Frazier now

4. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Leslie Frazier is a pretty good DC. dallas can always bring back dave campo.;)

5. Omen

That's what I was thinking. Who else is out their

6. Omen

He'd be an upgrade over Kiffen at least he'd have a pulse.

7. Jihad Joe

Schwartz is another possibility

8. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Kiffen was pretty good in his day,but how much can you expect out of a coach in his mid 70's? They would have done better by keeping ryan this year instead of bringing in kiffen.

9. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Marinelli is still under contract with the Cowboys. The Cowboys have to give consent for Lovie and the Bucs to talk to him. I guess the Cowboys can let Marinelli out of his contract, but I think it will cost the Bucs a draft pick. How high depends on the Bucs and the Cowboys.

10. Omen

It doesn't have to cost a thing. I'd let him leave if wants out. Why keep someone who doesn't want to be in Dallas.

Rather have someone who wants to be their and give it their all

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

If I'm not mistaken, this is mistaken. The Cowboys would only have to give permission if it was a lateral or "demoting" move. If he wants to interview for a promotion I don't think they can do anything about it. DC is definitely a promotion over position coach, unless he's the assistant HC as well. Nolan did this to Singletary back in the day when he was the LB coach, made him Asst. HC specifically to be able to block him from being interviewed for anything other than HC positions.

12. Jihad Joe

I could be mistaken as well, but I believe that now you have to go from assistant to HC and coordinator isnt considered a promotion.

Jones would let him out of his contract if he wanted to be a DC

13. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

That's what I'm saying, If Marinelli is the Asst HC (I don't know if he is and too lazy to look it up) then yes, they can block him. If he's just a Dline coach, then they cannot.

14. Jihad Joe

Actually I believe (and I could be wrong) that all coaches under HC were considered assistants and you cany go from assistant to assistant unless you are released from your contract.

15. Jihad Joe

For what its worth

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4722675/cowboys-would-have-to-ok-marinelli-move

16. ragman

17. Jihad Joe

Jones would let him go if he wanted to go

18. ragman

Did anyone hear what JJ said from Mobile yesterday? The Cowboys coaching staff is in Mobile scouting players for this year's Senior Bowl, which is being played this Saturday. JJ said yesterday that Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli will continue on as DC and OC respectively.