With the 1st pick the Houston Texans Select...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by LitesOut13, Feb 12, 2014.

?

Who do they take?

1. Jadeveon Clowney

30.0%
  2. Johnny Manziel

30.0%
  3. Blake Bortles

10.0%
  4. Teddy Bridgewater

30.0%
  5. Greg Robinson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Jake Matthews

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Khalil Mack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Taylor Lewan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Anthony Barr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LitesOut13

LitesOut13 Rookie

I have decided to start a joint mock draft. Votes should be for who you think the team SHOULD pick, not who you think they will pick. This creates a much more interesting discussion. Feel free to suggest poll options for the next team.

1. Houston Texans:

We move on if its too close or if it is obvious someone won. In case of a tie we do a new poll with the tied players only.

2. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Bridgewater. IMO Bridgewater is a legit #1 pick QB prospect. And he is the type of QB prospect you can expect to come in and play at a high level, whereas Bortles (IMO his only real competition as the best QB in this class) while probably being an effective rookie QB still needs polish.

IMO Bridgewater can come in and play at a level Matt Ryan did as a rookie, whereas Bortles will come in and play at an EJ Manuel level ( which isnt bad at all)

Im passing on Clowney because I don't Garapollo is there at there 2nd

3. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

So much Market value with Manziel.. From a $$ stance he seems like the right choice and based on the games I watched him play, he's got Andrew Luck type qualities so why the hell not?

4. LitesOut13

LitesOut13 Rookie

Wait what?? Manziel is absolutely nothing like Andrew Luck.

Aussie61 likes this.
  5. LitesOut13

LitesOut13 Rookie

I agree. I went with Bridgewater as well

6. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I haven't had the chance to see all the picks play personally so I will go by what I read. If you want to build a team around a qb that should be around for a long time, one that is ready more than the others on the list, and can read defenses and complete passes against them then Bridgewater is the choice. Got the size, arm strength and succeeded against decent competition. I am just not sold on Manziel. He depends too much on his running around for a few seconds and chuck it down the field. And the other guy, whom I have never heard of, apparently had success against lesser talent so who knows. Clowney is a monster sometimes and is a lamb at other times. There is no way that a driven guy would take plays off. The O linemen? Is anyone of them that much better than each other? Or better in the long run than Bridgewater? I don't think so. So, by default, it must be Ted.

7. LitesOut13

LitesOut13 Rookie

We gonna get any more votes on this thing??

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

like what ? he's white ?

9. Buck Fenson

If they draft Manzy they will set their franchise back another 10 years.

Aussie61 likes this.
  10. LitesOut13

LitesOut13 Rookie

Not worth the risk

11. Kurt

he breaks the pocket more than Luck, now... but other than that they both have fast white boy "wheels" and similar accuracy..

how do you think they're different? Luck is better or worse?

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Luck, IMO isn't even comparable with Manziel...

Luck >>>>>>>>Manziel

Aussie61 likes this.
  13. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

The only thing Manziel is better then Luck at is having an M in his last name

Owns Luck in that

14. Kurt

I love these type of conversations.. obviously picking the already proven "none-bust" 1st rnd pick is a easy call. I mean, the odds are heavily stacked against Manziel.

But NO ONE has said why they're hating on Manziel... where's the football Genius? Is it because he's short like Wilson or Drew? Is it because he's fast like RG3 and Luck? Maybe it's his unbelievable college stats... Or is it because he smoked your college team?

markaz likes this.
  15. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Maybe the best pick for the Texans is Clowney. But the thread title is asking who we THINK the Texans will take. I'm sticking with Manziel...and he has as much potential as any other QB on the board.

As long as they're unproven in the NFL they're all suspect. 20/20 hindsight everybody is a freakin' genius about Luck. Would love to have read the comments here years ago when the Pats selected Tom Brady. Would have been nothing but "what a wasted pick", "who in the f*ck is he?", etc. Bottom line.....NOBODY knows.

All I can say is thank God there is a rookie cap so your Sam Bradford's of the world can't cripple a franchise financially anymore. If the Texans pick Bridgewater and he's worse than anyone could have expected, it ain't the end of the world.....they'll still just suck.

16. LitesOut13

LitesOut13 Rookie

Andrew Luck was the most heralded prospect since John Elway in 1984. His accuracy is much better, better arm, better decision maker, better anticipation, better at working the pocket, better mechanics, etc. Literally the only thing that is comparable is MAYBE their running? But Luck is a pass first, run if needed QB where as Manziel is a one read then run type of QB.

Being a short QB isnt good. The reason guys like Wilson and Brees can overcome that is because they have the accuracy. They have the ability to read a defense at a high level. They are extremely smart players. Manziel has yet to show any of that

Aussie61 and Kurt like this.
  17. smeags

smeags militant geek

not sure bringing up russell wilson is really a great point. wilson isnt really that good. without that defense his name isnt even mentioned.

too many of the balls thrown by manzeil would be pick 6's in the nfl. if he runs too much he'll be on the IR. not something you spend a real high pick on.

also to bring up moster college stats is weak sauce. should we list the qb's with big college stats that didnt do rod in the nfl or even make a roster ?

Aussie61 and 86WARD like this.
  18. 86WARD

86WARD -

Tim.

Aussie61 likes this.
  19. smeags

smeags militant geek

i'll admit that my opinion may not be any better then someone thinking manziel can do well in the nfl but i just dont see it.

also i think BOB will steer away from him in the draft. as he seems to be a guy who likes the big qb that can breakdown a defense and make quick decisions as opposed to a running qb that will be a project on the nfl level.

Aussie61 likes this.
  20. Buck Fenson

I don't like him because I think he is all hype. He lives for the big play. I doubt he can march a team down the field on a 10+ play drive. Maybe a big play for 50 yards then a couple of negative plays and then a decent gain followed by a couple of negative plays. And nowadays stats are so inflated I don't pay that much attention to them. Him being short has nothing to do with my disdain for him. He acts like he has done something and he hasn't. He shouldn't have won the Heisman. He will be another Danny Woeful as in coming in with big hype and lay an egg. Also, last but not least, he hasn't "smoked" my team at all. We smoked his punk ass.